Our partner

Are Some Psychopaths Deeply Emotional? (New Study)

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Are Some Psychopaths Deeply Emotional? (New Study)

Postby Sixoclock0 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Why would a person with clearly impaired empathy be So fond of labeling others as this omnious psychopath?

If the poor thing still moves after your little treatment, you have encountered insurmountable obstacle and forget how to look at things objectively. It simply must be the case of psychopath! !! Is this process ego derivative? The world should indulge in a similar backward caste system as yours is?
Dx: Bipolar II
☆ In a world where you can be anything. Be kind. ☆
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby caspin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm

CallMe12 wrote:
caspin wrote:I know a guy who you call a psychopath, he have never said to me that he has anxiety but still he takes a light form of anxiety medicine. Atarax.

How do you know he is a psychopath, he has done brain scans?

You have to ask him.
Just one more soul. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ◝(◕ ◡ ◕ )◜
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 am

Postby Nasty_Boy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Nobody is immune to fear, sadness, depression, stress, whatever.

Psychopaths, however, are much less emotional than nons. They still experience those emotions, just not as strongly. A psychopath would break too given sufficient stress, their breaking point is much higher than the average person. That doesn't mean they're happier or living an enviable life, you could argue that a life without love is bland.
We secretly look for salvation, but when we realize there is no salvation, there, is our salvation
Life is a mystery to be experienced, not a riddle to be solved
Nasty_Boy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Nasty_Boy wrote:Nobody is immune to fear, sadness, depression, stress, whatever.

Psychopaths, however, are much less emotional than nons. They still experience those emotions, just not as strongly. A psychopath would break too given sufficient stress, their breaking point is much higher than the average person. That doesn't mean they're happier or living an enviable life, you could argue that a life without love is bland.

Indeed.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eight » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Nasty_Boy wrote:Nobody is immune to fear, sadness, depression, stress, whatever.
Psychopaths, however, are much less emotional than nons. They still experience those emotions, just not as strongly.

I don't know if your comment distinguishes between AsPD and psychopathy (and I do think the article mixes the terms), but I'd agree that those with AsPD are not immune to emotions. They are there. But they are inaccessible for the most part. They've been 'cut off' and may not be experienced such that they are recognized and noted as an emotion -- the cut off can be that quick -- and can be perfected early on to the point where it seems that that emotion is non-existent.

After all, PDs are defense mechanisms. What does that mean? And how completely has one's constructed personality defended against former pain?

A psychopath would break too given sufficient stress, their breaking point is much higher than the average person.

This is an interesting point, and an accurate one if we're talking about AsPD. It is interesting to see how many supposedly AsPD/psychopathic people 'break' in prison from that stress. Though few will admit to what they consider emotional weakness, it is telling how many succumb to the physiological indicators of unmanageable stress.

That doesn't mean they're happier or living an enviable life, you could argue that a life without love is bland.

Bland. A good word for the pervasive boredom that those diagnosable with AsPD experience. There is a price to pay for being cut off from a wider range of emotions.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:36 pm

Postby Sixoclock0 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:53 pm

The movie American Psycho happened to be on just last night. And I was thinking out loud, how highly narcissistic Bateman would likely suffer tremendously if something were to take away his particular appearance, money, girls, status...
But someone normal would be uneffected, or recover quickly. Is this how you're working with the braking point theory?
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Sixoclock0 wrote:The movie American Psycho happened to be on just last night. And I was thinking out loud, how highly narcissistic Bateman would likely suffer tremendously if something were to take away his particular appearance, money, girls, status...
But someone normal would be uneffected, or recover quickly. Is this how you're working with the braking point theory?

A normal human as you call it would suffer too.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sixoclock0 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 am

Average.

Stable self-esteem and ego is generally not based on external stimuli.
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 am

Eight wrote:
Nasty_Boy wrote:
That doesn't mean they're happier or living an enviable life, you could argue that a life without love is bland.

Bland. A good word for the pervasive boredom that those diagnosable with AsPD experience. There is a price to pay for being cut off from a wider range of emotions.

I would argue that this is only true when you have a basis for comparison.

I don't consider life to be "bland." In fact, I've done, and continue to do, more than most people. How can life be bland when there are so many things you can do? It's a lot more interesting than the alternative.

However, I've never had the capacity to feel any different. Maybe if I'd been born with the normal facility to "feel love" the same as the majority then I would understand what's gone but I find that hard to believe.

Love just seems to complicate a simple process and can work just as much against you as it can for your benefit.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lisa10 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 am

While I'm not a very emotional person, my anger can be overwhelmingly intense. I also experience intense restlessness resulting from boredom or frustration.
lisa10
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post