Our partner

What emotions?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

What emotions?

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am

why do people say Aspd are unemotional, like they lack all emotions?

even if they lack empathy and remorse, for example, that's only two emotions...

people don't seem to talk about how emotional Aspd actually are...

would you agree that overall they are more emotional than nons?
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What emotions?

Postby caspin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:17 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:why do people say Aspd are unemotional, like they lack all emotions?

well, i am just diffrent, of course i have some emotions but not so strong. if you dont feel to much then there is nothing and that gives you anxiety.
i dont know if or how my emotions are diffrent and will never know.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 am

Postby Nasty_Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

In some cases, I am more emotional than average (most significantly anger, my strongest emotion).

However, when it comes to empathy and love and everything connected to it, I'm much less emotional than average. Also, sadness, guilt and remorse are very rare for me.

Also, I assume I'm relatively emotionally flat because I require a lot of stimulation (constantly taking risks, always using at least some drug).

My social anxiety is very low, I've had some anxiety issues caused by drug abuse and near-death experiences. But my natural anxiety is lower than average (going by risks taken compared to peers).

So I guess you could say it depends on the emotions you're talking about. But because love and empathy are so central in most people's lives ASPD appear to be unemotional since that's what they lack.
To see God, you need to have met the Devil
Life is a mystery to be experienced, not a riddle to be solved
Nasty_Boy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Nasty_Boy wrote:So I guess you could say it depends on the emotions you're talking about. But because love and empathy are so central in most people's lives ASPD appear to be unemotional since that's what they lack.

that's a good point

i guess it all depends on your own perspective. like these things are not central in my life, so i deem them unimportant.

but i guess love really does pervade the lives of many doesn't it?

perhaps all they do is motivated by those they care about...
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 am

Postby Nasty_Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:
Nasty_Boy wrote:So I guess you could say it depends on the emotions you're talking about. But because love and empathy are so central in most people's lives ASPD appear to be unemotional since that's what they lack.

that's a good point

i guess it all depends on your own perspective. like these things are not central in my life, so i deem them unimportant.

but i guess love really does pervade the lives of many doesn't it?

perhaps all they do is motivated by those they care about...

Yeah, it seems so. There are countless love songs and people are really motivated by their family/kids and by their friends and they really care about their opinions.

I consider myself an individual, quite detached from most everyone else, who is out to get as much pleasure as possible.
To see God, you need to have met the Devil
Life is a mystery to be experienced, not a riddle to be solved
Nasty_Boy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ElephantEyes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Isnt the attraction to danger and intense situations due to flatter emotions? Needing more intensity in order to feel something?
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Postby Reaper » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:would you agree that overall they are more emotional than nons?

No, because most nons have a broader range of emotion and they express it more often and more deeply.

People with AsPD can experience a range of emotion too, but the emotions felt are usually shallow and short-lived.

I think anger is about the only emotion that is actually felt strongly, but even that is shallow too considering it doesn't last long. At least that's how it is in my experience anyway. Sometimes I even fake anger.

Boredom often stems from a lack of emotion/stimulation - the inability to experience or maintain excitement for long. Lots of people with AsPD experience boredom more often than nons.

ElephantEyes wrote:Isnt the attraction to danger and intense situations due to flatter emotions? Needing more intensity in order to feel something?

Yes it is.
Dx: AsPD, Schizoid PD and some narcissism for good measure.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Postby MaxRaeder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:why do people say Aspd are unemotional, like they lack all emotions?

Rage, that's about it for me. Constant, unending rage. Everything else is a pure construct or uber shallow proto-emotion. The rage just is, the rest I can switch on and off as I feel like.

Personally I have always used adrenaline based activities to get the rage fed. It never dissipates. But then I've never had any intention of being fiscally poor, socially messed up, or have my life fractured by my socially nefarious talents; so I control myself.

I do not like emotive people, not that I like anyone as such apart from my wife and dog. Emotional people are always confused and illogical. What these emotions they display are supposed to achieve is beyond any form of sense, imo.
The internet... full of people I'd never deign to talk to in real life or even stand near.....
MaxRaeder
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby caspin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 pm

MaxRaeder wrote:

Rage, that's about it for me. Constant, unending rage. Everything else is a pure construct or uber shallow proto-emotion. The rage just is, the rest I can switch on and off as I feel like.

Personally I have always used adrenaline based activities to get the rage fed. It never dissipates. But then I've never had any intention of being fiscally poor, socially messed up, or have my life fractured by my socially nefarious talents; so I control myself.

I do not like emotive people, not that I like anyone as such apart from my wife and dog. Emotional people are always confused and illogical. What these emotions they display are supposed to achieve is beyond any form of sense, imo.

You must in some degree believe that this you write is something. Well I can tell that its made up, like a poor actor would do.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sixoclock0 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Manifestations of PD person rage or malice are logical? :lol:
I'm emotional, and and these people precisely don't have any logic.
Dx: Bipolar II DepressionAnxietyPTSD
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post