Our partner

What emotions?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: What emotions?

Postby caspin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Sixoclock0 wrote:Manifestations of PD person rage or malice are logical? :lol:
I'm emotional, and and these people precisely don't have any logic.

Logic is not always the write option.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:15 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:why do people say Aspd are unemotional, like they lack all emotions?

No one would say "That person looked at that tin of beans and had no emotions whatsoever."

They wouldn't say that because a tin of beans doesn't evoke many strong emotions in people, so it's not expected.

People would say "He saw that kid get hit by a car and showed no emotions" because it's expected that people would show emotions to an injured child.

However, if you have the same view of the child as you do a tin of beans then your reaction would be the same.

It doesn't mean you don't have emotions, it just means that the child is as important to you as a tin of beans.

It's a subtle, yet important, distinction.
I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Midwinter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:44 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:why do people say Aspd are unemotional, like they lack all emotions?

even if they lack empathy and remorse, for example, that's only two emotions...

people don't seem to talk about how emotional Aspd actually are...

would you agree that overall they are more emotional than nons?

Because people are too caught up in their pseudoscientific hollywood ideas of Dexter and public psychopaths.

Antisocials does not lack emotions. They are dimmed down however. Their response is probably less to some areas, while other responses can be highly turned on, like aggression for one.

-- Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm --

justonemoreperson wrote:It doesn't mean you don't have emotions, it just means that the child is as important to you as a tin of beans.

Exactly.
“Be Royal in your Own Fashion: Act like a King to be treated”
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby locusta » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 pm

I don't know about other people, but I don't feel many emotions. Anger, sometimes, but it dissipates quickly. I like to take drugs, go shopping, and play sports to keep from being bored because life is monotonous
locusta
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 am

Postby Eight » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I think the monotony of life experienced by many with AsPD is mostly due to the inability to experience the normal emotional range.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:09 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 am

Eight wrote:I think the monotony of life experienced by many with AsPD is mostly due to the inability to experience the normal emotional range.

This is a false connection.

People find life monotonous because they lack creativity or intelligence, and you could argue that creativity is a type of intelligence.

Round up the most bored people on the planet and I think you'll find a broad mix of emotional capacity.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am

caspin wrote:
Sixoclock0 wrote:Manifestations of PD person rage or malice are logical? :lol:
I'm emotional, and and these people precisely don't have any logic.

Logic is not always the write option.

Right*
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eight » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 am

justonemoreperson wrote:
Eight wrote:I think the monotony of life experienced by many with AsPD is mostly due to the inability to experience the normal emotional range.

This is a false connection.

People find life monotonous because they lack creativity or intelligence, and you could argue that creativity is a type of intelligence.

Round up the most bored people on the planet and I think you'll find a broad mix of emotional capacity.

jomp, I wasn't talking about people in general but rather people with AsPD/traits.

Despite having intelligence and, for some, creativity, many of those people complain of monotony or boredom. Both pleasure and pain are not felt deeply, nor are the other emotions except perhaps anger.

The lack of ability to react and respond emotionally to the varied things that occur in daily life is a primary reason for the feeling that life is 'flat' or monotonous.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ElephantEyes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 am

Does anyone else here think they were born with less fear than normal or diminished emotions and if so, how did that show itself?

Anecdotal evidence you have?

Your earliest memories of this?

And related issues which made your parents take you to therapy?
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 am

Eight wrote:
jomp, I wasn't talking about people in general but rather people with AsPD/traits.

I know.

Despite having intelligence and, for some, creativity, many of those people complain of monotony or boredom. Both pleasure and pain are not felt deeply, nor are the other emotions except perhaps anger.

I'm not seeing how a person with enough intelligence / creativity would ever be bored. I get bored from time to time but, when I do, I chose to do something and I stop being bored. It's not rocket science.

I can imagine how a person who is highly emotional would get bored, because they are reliant on those around them more for their happiness and when they don't get what they need then they are stuck with themselves. Boredom, depression, anxiety, even laziness to an extent; I believe that these are similar.

The lack of ability to react and respond emotionally to the varied things that occur in daily life is a primary reason for the feeling that life is 'flat' or monotonous.

Are you sure?

The reason I made my comment general is that having a "normal" emotional brain doesn't seem to stop people getting bored. If I think of the people I know, the ones who are lazy and bored tend to be the ones who are less likely to come up with a new idea; are less creative.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post