Our partner

Do opposing traits of different disorders balance out?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Do opposing traits of different disorders balance out?

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 am

Like if you ask a crazy person a crazy question, will the response be sane?

Similary, if a person has traits of opposing disorders, does it ultimately cancel each other and create a healthy person?

Or if not, can this be a path towards health?
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do opposing traits of different disorders balance out?

Postby caspin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 am

Lets just relax and wait for a crazy person.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 am

Right?
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby seabreezeblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am

Example?

If a person has traits of opposing disorders.. to the point that they cancel each-other out.. they'd surely never know that they had traits of those disorders in the first place.. :?

If we're talking about one set of traits limiting the impact of the other.. but not to the point of canceling out;

The closest i can think of is my Aspergers and PTSD.. the hypervigilance of PTSD means that I can read emotions perfectly.. much better than anyone that I've met (apart from my sister.. she's close to being as good as me).

All it means for me is that I can see exactly how weird people think i am when i'm having a bad day.. can't do anything to change my behaviour in that moment though :roll:

What (if any) disorders did you have in mind when creating this thread EE?

Ps.. Mod moment - is this linked to ASPD at all?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (25)

Postby julllia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am

i feel 2 opposites things at the same time and it makes me feel annoyed and indecisive and stuck.
or that i do not know who i am.it doesn't feel healthy. it feels like you are trapped.
it might look healthy on the outside in superficial appearance but emotionally the person will feel it i guess. i do not know though maybe it could work, what example do you have in mind of opposite traits?
if you ask a crazy person a crazy question the result will be sane answer but the person and the question is still crazy. you can only ask him crazy questions for this to work. ask something else and it falls apart lol

will they balance out or make you have split personality though.Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Postby SweetSlumber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am

I'd say having two opposite disorders would only make matters worse, they'd create internal conflict and instability.
"The past is never dead. It is not even past."
Dx: PDNOS
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 am

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 am

seabreezeblue wrote:Example?

If a person has traits of opposing disorders.. to the point that they cancel each-other out.. they'd surely never know that they had traits of those disorders in the first place.. :?

If we're talking about one set of traits limiting the impact of the other.. but not to the point of canceling out;

The closest i can think of is my Aspergers and PTSD.. the hypervigilance of PTSD means that I can read emotions perfectly.. much better than anyone that I've met (apart from my sister.. she's close to being as good as me).

All it means for me is that I can see exactly how weird people think i am when i'm having a bad day.. can't do anything to change my behaviour in that moment though :roll:

What (if any) disorders did you have in mind when creating this thread EE?

Ps.. Mod moment - is this linked to ASPD at all?

Thank you for the reply sbb.

Of course this is linked to ASPD. Im a bit puzzled why it isnt clear? :?

For instance Reaper is diagnosed with AsPD and Schizoid. Opposing disorders in ways and it has been discussed only fleetingly how this has made her higher functioning (never been arrested).

Others have fleetingly mentioned similar re AsPD + OCD/OCPD. Or AsPD + GAD.

I am talking about disorders in a forum about a disorder. I am puzzled why you thought it was off topic?

I think its worth exploring in a thread as I have only seen this fleetingly mentioned, but people have implied their higher functioning is due to their "opposite" traits in some cases.
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby seabreezeblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am

ElephantEyes wrote:

For instance Reaper is diagnosed with AsPD and Schizoid. Opposing disorders in ways and it has been discussed only fleetingly how this has made her higher functioning (never been arrested).

I am talking about disorders in a forum about a disorder. I am puzzled why you thought it was off topic?

I think its worth exploring in a thread as I have only seen this fleetingly mentioned, but people have implied their higher functioning is due to their "opposite" traits in some cases.

It's not clear how it's linked, because it could just as easily fit into any other section that discusses disorders.. not specific to ASPD.

An interesting thread, so I'd like it to stay put rather than be relocated to off topic.. I'd have shifted it already otherwise. But we do need a clear enough link to ASPD to keep it here instead of tucking it away :)
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (25)

Postby caspin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am

seabreezeblue wrote:
ElephantEyes wrote:

It's not clear how it's linked, because it could just as easily fit into any other section that discusses disorders.. not specific to ASPD.

An interesting thread, so I'd like it to stay put rather than be relocated to off topic.. I'd have shifted it already otherwise. But we do need a clear enough link to ASPD to keep it here instead of tucking it away :)

I agree with you Sea. Talking about disorders in forum he wrote but are ASPD crazy?
Might be a bit off topic, I dont think a insane person can answer any question. If he/she is really crazy.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 am

seabreezeblue wrote:
ElephantEyes wrote:

Well its posted in the AsPD forum so its asking about AsPD.

AsPD is a disorder. :?
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post