Our partner

Do opposing traits of different disorders balance out?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Do opposing traits of different disorders balance out?

Postby caspin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 am

Is the meaning of a disorder crazy?
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am

caspin wrote:Is the meaning of a disorder crazy?

Well it depends. I was using it as an analogy but maybe its not accurate.

Anyone with a disorder is having problems in life. The establishment views it as self caused problems. Distortions in thinking. Extreme behaviors.

Not crazy if crazy only means psychotic. But crazy in the way a person self sabotoging is.
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 am

Postby seabreezeblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:23 am

ElephantEyes wrote:Well its posted in the AsPD forum so its asking about AsPD.

AsPD is a disorder. :?

That's pretty much all I need to read..

If there's no apparent link specifically to ASPD, I need to consider whether the thread should stay.. but I like this one and it could be a really interesting discussion, so I was asking you to give me a solid reason to keep it out front (:

I was thinking about this a bit as i was cleaning the bathroom (yes.. my life is boring i know), and was thinking that to balance each-other out, the disorders would have to be of exactly the same strength as each-other, or one would be apparent, and the other suppressed for the most part.
In people with both ADHD and Autism, you often find that the ADHD is diagnosed first, and the Autism only becomes apparent once the symptoms of ADHD are being treated.

What disorder do you think would balance out/counteract the symptoms of ASPD?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (25)

Postby Courtier » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42 am

The anxious and emotionally turbulent like me. I offer a calm energy for them to retreat to - to balance out and stabilise. I like the dramatic and intense emotionality and/or psychological styles that a borderline and other cluster Bs can offer - they pull me out of my head - though I also enjoy those who have similar traits to me.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby OneRinger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:If there's no apparent link specifically to ASPD, I need to consider whether the thread should stay.. but I like this one and it could be a really interesting discussion, so I was asking you to give me a solid reason to keep it out front (:

Because that "rule" was always dumb to start with, and was made to cover a totalitarian style of modding. You can't ask people to just talk about one thing, unless you want the place to be empty, and it won't be empty, so you will fight rebellion due to the unjust rule.
OneRinger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 am

Postby gately » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:Ps.. Mod moment - is this linked to ASPD at all?

You're obviously new to the AsPD space. In spite of a recent quality-decline, this sub-forum has historically been a place for intelligent discourse over a range of topics without immediate AsPD relevance that serve to educate readers about the broad interests of people with AsPD, and help AsPD partakers to better understand themselves through the shared pursuit of increasing their understanding of human behaviour. What may seem irrelevant at first, often has important relevance in the AsPD nebulous. Not always—many threads are straight-up retarded—but often and relevant enough to be worth considering from a moderation point of view.

Many of the more interesting and insightful posters have come here over the years for this reason, so it might be worth avoiding becoming too autocratic with regard to sidelining threads of a similar nature to this one.

Also - the "mod moment" thing is lame and unnecessary.
gately
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Postby Courtier » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm

I think it's appropriate to make a distinction between what is said in contribution to the thread as somebody who is interested in mental health issues and what is said as an administrator of the site.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheCastleOf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 am

OneRinger wrote:Because that "rule" was always dumb to start with, and was made to cover a totalitarian style of modding. You can't ask people to just talk about one thing, unless you want the place to be empty, and it won't be empty, so you will fight rebellion due to the unjust rule.

Hundred percent agreed. I mean, obviously total anarchy sucks. But controlling modding equally sucks. It's kind of sad what's happening on the NPD forum. Hope this forum will be spared.
TheCastleOf
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 am

Postby Eight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:40 am

seabreezeblue wrote:What (if any) disorders did you have in mind when creating this thread EE?
Ps.. Mod moment - is this linked to ASPD at all?

I agree with a previous poster that the 'rule' of all topics being directly related to AsPD in order for the thread to continue and not be relegated to OT was enacted to address a specific time with specific posters -- at that time, there were many poster who used the forum for almost exclusively social reasons. There were many threads with no real bearing on mental health, let alone AsPD, and silliness was so rampant that members with AsPD, or those who were sincerely interested in AsPD issues, were leaving the forum. As a result, a 'rule' that topics needed to pertain to AsPD was concocted and enforced, at least until the forum threads moved away from ridiculousness and certain members moved on to other playgrounds. Then the 'rule' ceased being enforced.

In my memory, via a new mod some time afterwards, it was re-enacted. But this time it wasn't to address the issue that had caused its creation in the first place -- it appeared more to just be enforcement of a 'rule' for enforcement's sake, as if the mod wanted to establish authority or some such. That did not go over well. Legit valuable members began to work "AsPD" into the title of nearly every thread, and then got primed to argue with the mod about the relevancy of the thread's content. Threads like "Do those with AsPD like pudding or cake?" or "For AsPD: What is the smell of your fecal matter after eating broccoli?" The games began, and a small war ensued.

I see no present need for this obscure 'rule' to be resurrected. There aren't silly threads unrelated to AsPD that are driving members away. Recently, this forum has been less of a playground than it has in the past - it seems like it's serving it's purpose rather well right now. There is probably no need to enforce an obscure pseudo-rule when the situation at hand doesn't warrant it.

It's rather like six's avatar. There's a bit of nudity but it doesn't rise to an issue because it's not crying out for attention (unlike the full fledged beautiful breasts I posted in an exquisite image in Just for Fun that got deleted; hmmmph, no civilized taste in that forum :lol: )

seabreezeblue wrote:That's pretty much all I need to read..

Good to see that you're a reasonable person who will be reasonable about what to enforce/not to enforce, and pick your battles well, in the AsPD forum.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:44 am

seabreezeblue wrote:
If there's no apparent link specifically to ASPD, I need to consider whether the thread should stay.. but I like this one and it could be a really interesting discussion, so I was asking you to give me a solid reason to keep it out front (:

I feel like jumping in here too. Though I'm not a regular poster on this subform, this has been on my mind recently... Of course you may delete it if it's too far off topic.

There is no such forum as "General PD Discussion". If there were, I would certainly post there instead of the specifically devoted PD subforms. Personally, I'm interested in hearing various PD's points of view on a subject, and at present it seems there isn't a place to have such a discussion.

It seems wrong to "ding" people for posting threads or responses that aren't strictly relevant to one PD or another but rather to PDs in general, since there is currently no other place for those threads to go.

Just my opinion, of course.
perejil
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post