Our partner

How do you choose your persona?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: How do you choose your persona?

Postby caspin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am

ElephantEyes wrote:
Sixoclock0 wrote:
SweetSlumber wrote:I'd smash your face in if I could.

Cool. Why? My ultimate malicious activity would be walking away.

Why do the mods let you have a naked avi?

She just wrote she cant.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

caspin wrote:She just wrote she cant.

Ok.
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

Postby bman3six » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 pm

I choose a persona based on the person I'm trying to put a good impression on. The more I like the person, the harder I try.
bman3six
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 am

Postby freyja » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 am

bman3six wrote:I choose a persona based on the person I'm trying to put a good impression on. The more I like the person, the harder I try.

e
It's a point that trips me up repeatedly. No empathy is understandable. I mean we all have time when empathy failed us for one reason or another, we just didn't n otice or care how someone was feeling, not meaning to directly compare intermittent failure to wholesale absence but still one gets the flavour of the matter,

but this is the oddest part for me to get my head around, who is the person who is the one who is trying to put on a good impression. I mean are there two people, like the impression and the one trying, is the impression really to impress oneself more than the other one, who really is clueless if you are doing a good job until

it is too late.

So who is the "I" who likes and who tries? What is the relationship of this I to the fabricated persona or mask?
Bipolar 1
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am

Postby caspin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 am

freyja wrote:
bman3six wrote:I choose a persona based on the person I'm trying to put a good impression on. The more I like the person, the harder I try.

e
It's a point that trips me up repeatedly. No empathy is understandable. I mean we all have time when empathy failed us for one reason or another, we just didn't n otice or care how someone was feeling, not meaning to directly compare intermittent failure to wholesale absence but still one gets the flavour of the matter,

but this is the oddest part for me to get my head around, who is the person who is the one who is trying to put on a good impression. I mean are there two people, like the impression and the one trying, is the impression really to impress oneself more than the other one, who really is clueless if you are doing a good job until

it is too late.

So who is the "I" who likes and who tries? What is the relationship of this I to the fabricated persona or mask?

The person is the mask, the mask is the person.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Postby ScarletRaven » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am

To me the world is divided up into three different categories. The first are people who can benefit me. The second are targets and the third are people who do not interest me at all. I choose my personal based on the people I interact with. My mask to other people does not change that much with different interactions (because that would be very giving) but I will enhance/diminish certain traits of it depending on the people and where they fall on the totem pole. If someone is on the bottom of the totem pole, I give then very little effort unless there are people around them that have a higher status.
Dx: AsPD and NPD

Yes, you should feel special if I bother to speak to you ;).
ScarletRaven
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Postby OneRinger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 pm

SweetSlumber wrote:So for example, there was a time in my life when I was into Christianity. I was doing a horrible job at being Christian, but it filled some gaps in my personality - it gave me some sort of morality, beliefs etc. It was like I was more of a person than now.

Yes, but the problem is that it was external, and now that the social incentive is gone, you are left with nothing. But you are missing a golden opportunity to be an apostate, and create your own heresies to justify being an apostate. And that is how you build your personality. In other words, you can take that as a role model, and then figure out why you were horrible at it, thus knowing yourself better in the process, and this is your anchor.

SweetSlumber wrote:It's kind of stupid that I'm looking for a new system now, after spending so much time trying to free myself from all the systems I used. But there really doesn't seem to be much to me beneath them.

It's one thing to reject something, it is another to know why, and know why it is important to you. The first step is worthless, it is the second that matter. Also, jumping straight ahead into another relationship is a way to escape taking responsibility, and the work of self-building. If you keep hopping like this, you are simply fleeing yourself, so there is no gain. If something took effort like you said, then something should be left of it, something you can build on. It is like feeding the cow, bringing it in, and not milking it.
OneRinger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 am

Postby SweetSlumber » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:35 pm

OneRinger wrote:
SweetSlumber wrote:So for example, there was a time in my life when I was into Christianity. I was doing a horrible job at being Christian, but it filled some gaps in my personality - it gave me some sort of morality, beliefs etc. It was like I was more of a person than now.

Yes, but the problem is that it was external, and now that the social incentive is gone, you are left with nothing. But you are missing a golden opportunity to be an apostate, and create your own heresies to justify being an apostate. And that is how you build your personality. In other words, you can take that as a role model, and then figure out why you were horrible at it, thus knowing yourself better in the process, and this is your anchor.

SweetSlumber wrote:It's kind of stupid that I'm looking for a new system now, after spending so much time trying to free myself from all the systems I used. But there really doesn't seem to be much to me beneath them.

It's one thing to reject something, it is another to know why, and know why it is important to you. The first step is worthless, it is the second that matter. Also, jumping straight ahead into another relationship is a way to escape taking responsibility, and the work of self-building. If you keep hopping like this, you are simply fleeing yourself, so there is no gain. If something took effort like you said, then something should be left of it, something you can build on. It is like feeding the cow, bringing it in, and not milking it.

I'm lactose intolerant. And I think the reason why me and Christianity don't match is because I hate being responsible, accountable, punished. The more somebody tightens my collar, the more I want to misbehave.

I think the only religion/philosophy I'd follow is Taoism since it doesn't have many expectations. Just go with the flow, don't struggle etc. You won't go to hell or whatever for breaking some dumb rules.
"The past is never dead. It is not even past."
Dx: PDNOS
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 am

Postby Reaper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm

SweetSlumber wrote:The more somebody tightens my collar, the more I want to misbehave.

You mean like how you lock your door for privacy while giving the keys to your father...?

Going by some of your posts it seems to me that your family members are the ones controlling your collar, and you're letting them.

As for me, I don't have a collar.
Dx: AsPD, Schizoid PD and some narcissism for good measure.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:31 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:17 am

Reaper wrote:As for me, I don't have a collar.

You do, it's just self-imposed.
I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post