Our partner

do you relate to this?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

do you relate to this?

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Children who do not have the power to control the mistreatment they suffer sometimes create a new reality to which they can escape. This new reality becomes their fantasy that they have total control of and becomes part of their daily existence. In this fantasy world, their emotional development is guided and maintained. According to Garrison (1996), "the child becomes sociopathic because the normal development of the concepts of right and wrong and empathy towards others is retarded because the child's emotional and social development occurs within his self-centered fantasies. A person can do no wrong in his own world and the pain of others is of no consequence when the purpose of the fantasy world is to satisfy the needs of one person" (Garrison, 1996). Boundaries between fantasy and reality are lost and fantasies turn to dominance, control, sexual conquest, and violence, eventually leading to murder. Fantasy can lead to the first step in the process of a dissociative state, which, in the words of Stephen Giannangelo, "allows the serial killer to leave the stream of consciousness for what is, to him, a better place".
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do you relate to this?

Postby Reaper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 am

"the child becomes sociopathic because the normal development of the concepts of right and wrong and empathy towards others is retarded because the child's emotional and social development occurs within his self-centered fantasies. A person can do no wrong in his own world and the pain of others is of no consequence when the purpose of the fantasy world is to satisfy the needs of one person"

I can relate to that a lot, but I don't see it as 'creating a new reality'. I'm aware that it's just fantasy. I'm still very much in touch with reality and it's reality that I crave because fantasy is only satisfying to a point.

Boundaries between fantasy and reality are lost and fantasies turn to dominance, control, sexual conquest, and violence, eventually leading to murder.

Mine turned to murder a long time ago, so I can definitely relate to that, but I'm well aware of the boundaries between fantasy and reality.
Dx: AsPD, Schizoid PD and some narcissism for good measure.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 am

Postby Quoth » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:19 am

I was never abused as a child.

I notice this article appears to be gender specific, is that the case?
Quoth
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 am

i think you misunderstood reaper

think of it like playing Grand Theft Auto

when you play a video game you temporarily enter another world where you kill people. your decision to kill people in this world is based on how you've constructed it - or rather how it's been constructed for you - that is without consequences.

in the GTA world people are not people, they are pixels, so it's ok to kill them. furthermore, you don't expect cops to come knocking on your door. you expect to get away in the GTA world because you're in control.

well the psychopath does just this. they enter real life GTA.

-- Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am --

Quoth wrote:I notice this article appears to be gender specific, is that the case?

does it matter?

-- Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:24 am --

Reaper wrote:
Boundaries between fantasy and reality are lost and fantasies turn to dominance, control, sexual conquest, and violence, eventually leading to murder.

Mine turned to murder a long time ago, so I can definitely relate to that, but I'm well aware of the boundaries between fantasy and reality.

ya you don't get it. that's ok

looks like you can't relate
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Quoth » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:30 am

Potentially, there are differences between male and female mental development right down to the biochemical level. If the author felt the need to specify males, I'd like to know why.
Quoth
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:34 am

maybe because most serial killers are male...

is there is any reason to believe the development of psychopathy in females would be any different?

the fixation on dominance and control may not be central like with males, but the basic process and outcome the same
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:38 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i think you misunderstood reaper

think of it like playing Grand Theft Auto

when you play a video game you temporarily enter another world where you kill people. your decision to kill people in this world is based on how you've constructed it - or rather how it's been constructed for you - that is without consequences.

in the GTA world people are not people, they are pixels, so it's ok to kill them. furthermore, you don't expect cops to come knocking on your door. you expect to get away in the GTA world because you're in control.

well the psychopath does just this. they enter real life GTA.

That's how I see people. Not as pixels but as objects. I'm still aware they have feelings, hopes and dreams, I just don't care. It's insignificant.

Reaper wrote:

ya you don't get it. that's ok

looks like you can't relate

I can relate if you take out the delusional aspect of it, or maybe that's how it is for me too, I'm just not aware of it. It's quite possible I don't fully understand what they mean by 'creating a new reality'.

Psychopaths know the difference between fantasy and reality. If they didn't, those who kill wouldn't cover their tracks to avoid capture.

People don't cover their tracks in GTA.
Last edited by Reaper on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:43 am

they know the difference, but that doesn't stop them from substituting one for the other

it's like...knowing it's sunny in Florida but rainy in London so you decide to go to Florida

both exist simultaneously and you know about them. but you choose to live in and act out your daily life in one not the other.

except in this case, the fantasy is overlaid reality. so a layer of fantasy replaces the reality underneath, of which the psychopath is aware and knows about but it doesn't hold any meaning to them and is of no consequence
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:except in this case, the fantasy is overlaid reality. so a layer of fantasy replaces the reality underneath, of which the psychopath is aware and knows about but it doesn't hold any meaning to them and is of no consequence

How is that any different from anyone else who kills people then?

Not all serial killers are psychopaths.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:47 am

Reaper wrote:People don't cover their tracks in GTA.

sure they do, if it's part of the game

obviously the 'real world' has its own parameters...just like video games

reaper your limited ability to understand an analogy is showing :)

it's too bad because i think this is probably the best psychological description and encapsulation of psychopathy this forum will ever see...a rare gem if you will

and it's yours for the taking if you care to take it.

-- Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:50 am --

Reaper wrote:
crystal_richardson_ wrote:except in this case, the fantasy is overlaid reality. so a layer of fantasy replaces the reality underneath, of which the psychopath is aware and knows about but it doesn't hold any meaning to them and is of no consequence

How is that any different from anyone else who kills people then?

it's not. astute observation

in the army for example people are told the enemy is dirt, inhuman, or that the enemy is trying to kill them so they need to kill them first to protect their loved ones...

it's the same process of reality reconstruction

the difference with psychopathy is that this process isn't occurring in an institution motivated by national needs

it's due to the unique pathological need of the psychopath
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post