Our partner

Free Will

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Free Will

Postby Chainsaw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Do you believe that you have free will?

If yes, why do you believe this?
If not, how do you feel about this?

I don't know about free will. It could be possible, but that would be as unexplainable as ghosts.
Female, born in 1998 
Chainsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Free Will

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

No free will BUT we must act as there is free will for life to make sense and to make choices that make sense.
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 pm

i think people have free will to the extent that they are detached from or are not susceptible to consequences for their actions/choices.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am

Postby Chainsaw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i think people have free will to the extent that they are detached from or are not susceptible to consequences for their actions/choices.

Do you think people with [severe] ASPD should get punished? I'm just asking for your opinion. I have ASPD, and I think I should not get punishment, simply because I don't fully understand the wrongness of my actions. I don't think you can be both ASPD and morally aware.

But a lot of people on this forum seem to think that ASPD know what they are doing, or that they know it's "wrong", while people without conscience don't think about stuff as wrong.
Female, born in 1998 
Chainsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm

i know what it's like to have drives beyond your control, or to put it in simple terms: being simply unable to stop a self-destructive behaviour

like currently i am at my limit for prosocial fitting in, yet i am doing a lot of things behind the scenes that could get me into trouble, or which will inevitably be an issue for me later on. yet i cannot change...

so i understand the aspd predicament to some extent, and it's more than just lacking a conscience.

so with that, no i dont' think Aspd - true Aspd, those who suffer from unstoppable self-destructive tendencies - should be imprisoned because...wtf?

society created this problem, so they fix it. throwing people in prison is not fixing the problem. and Aspd is not natural and to the extent it does play on natural drives and impulses there exists societies that deal with those a hell of a lot better such that Aspd doesn't happen or occurs at a significantly reduced frequency.

you can be aspd and morally aware but just not care or rather those morals do nothing to stop your behaviour, which doesn't feel like a choice.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chainsaw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i know what it's like to have drives beyond your control, or to put it in simple terms: being simply unable to stop a self-destructive behaviour

like currently i am at my limit for prosocial fitting in, yet i am doing a lot of things behind the scenes that could get me into trouble, or which will inevitably be an issue for me later on. yet i cannot change...

so i understand the aspd predicament to some extent, and it's more than just lacking a conscience.

so with that, no i dont' think Aspd - true Aspd, those who suffer from unstoppable self-destructive tendencies - should be imprisoned because...wtf?

society created this problem, so they fix it. throwing people in prison is not fixing the problem. and Aspd is not natural and to the extent it does play on natural drives and impulses there exists societies that deal with those a hell of a lot better such that Aspd doesn't happen or occurs at a significantly reduced frequency.

This description is mostly accurate IMO. Society is forcing people to be a certain human being. But it's the lack of conscience that makes people with ASPD uncaring about change as long as they can avoid negative consequences.

you can be aspd and morally aware but just not care or rather those morals do nothing to stop your behaviour, which doesn't feel like a choice.

I don't believe this. If the morals do nothing to stop your behavior, it could be an impuls problem. And not all impuls problems can be ascribed to ASPD. But yes, when you do thing outside your control, it feels like it's not a choice. I can be so impulsive that I do something before I even think about it - I never saw my own deed coming.
Female, born in 1998 
Chainsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SweetSlumber » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I see 'free will' as a concept related to the concept of soul. As in very abstract and hard to pin down.

We are really just bags of flesh with very well developed brains and circuitry. Our behaviour is determined by the operation of our body and brain. So I don't think 'free will' is applicable here. It would be more applicable in the context of religion or another product of our thinking.

I don't think I should be punished for anything I do, I'm just doing what I do. But people want to have a way of protecting themselves from people who hurt them, and the simplest two ways are:
a) hurting people before they can hurt you, which would likely make society impossible;
b) announcing that if people hurt you, they will later be hurt by other people.

I think that if a) is not an option and b) doesn't always work, a c) should be implemented. But good luck figuring out a c) that could be applied in reality.
"The past is never dead. It is not even past."
Dx: PDNOS
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm

Postby NotAsCrazyAsIThought » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:16 am

ASPD should be imprisoned, maybe not from his POV , but it will be better for majority and even though he won't learn $#%^ , he's an animal and avoids things that can harm him
I come from a place where my language works very differently from english. Forgive me if I sound confusing or if I misunderstand anything.
NotAsCrazyAsIThought
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 am

Postby Fool » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 am

stupid concept imo

even the words don't make sense. free relative to what? being confined by cause and effect? and will means? my will? the universal will? the ability to do whatever you want? which is defined by everything that it isn't, and so has nothing to do with you at all?

free will is the reason people are so easy to play and impossible to control - everyone thinks they are in the driving seat.
"Kindly let me help before you drown" said the monkey, lifting the fish into the tree.
Fool
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby julllia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Chainsaw wrote:
crystal_richardson_ wrote:i think people have free will to the extent that they are detached from or are not susceptible to consequences for their actions/choices.

Do you think people with [severe] ASPD should get punished? I'm just asking for your opinion. I have ASPD, and I think I should not get punishment, simply because I don't fully understand the wrongness of my actions. I don't think you can be both ASPD and morally aware.

But a lot of people on this forum seem to think that ASPD know what they are doing, or that they know it's "wrong", while people without conscience don't think about stuff as wrong.

someone said better what i am trying to say often,so i am gonna just quote:
" limited accountability usually comes with limited rights"
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views