Our partner

Michelle Carter text suicide trial ruling

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

What would your verdict be?

Guilty
53%
Not guilty
47%

Total votes : 15

Michelle Carter text suicide trial ruling

Postby Wannabe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:41 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-ca ... ct-guilty/

TL;DR:

- Depressed male peer regularly talked with Carter about suicide.
- Carter convinced the teen to kill himself by hotboxing his car exhaust over a series of instructive and emotionally manipulative text messages.
- Carter found guilty of involountary manslaughter.
Wannabe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Michelle Carter text suicide trial ruling

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 pm

If words can make you kill yourself you deserve to be dead. He would have done it eventually when something else triggered him. Not her fault. Free speech!
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Postby Otter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:31 am

If suicide was still a crime in the USA prosecutors could have used that angle.
Otter
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Postby OneRinger » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:06 am

She wanted it, did what she could to get it, and got it. Now she needs to take responsibility for it.

I would have put it a voluntary manslaughter though, there was nothing involuntary about it.
OneRinger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Postby Midwinter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:25 am

I'm rather sure she did it because she loved him, and in order to end his suffering just pushed him out there. It was his decision to follow through with it, so he should be blamed for it.
Casanova
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sixoclock0 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:48 am

Midwinter wrote:It was his decision to follow through with it, so he should be blamed for it.

Cool. But surely you understand that this is just you and a few others niche opinion, it's not some morally complete and transcendent truth.

It's the intent what matters.
Dx: Bipolar II DepressionAnxietyPTSD

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Postby Dulcet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:06 am

This ruling makes it certain I will end up in prison
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Midwinter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 am

Sixoclock0 wrote:
Midwinter wrote:It was his decision to follow through with it, so he should be blamed for it.

Cool. But surely you understand that this is just you and a few others niche opinion, it's not some morally complete and transcendent truth.

It's the intent what matters.

Wrong. It's like saying that the intent of a gift is what matters. Not really. I can intend to have someone killed, and then they do it themselves. That doesn't make me guilty. They could've decided to cut the ties with me, they could've decided to seek help. If you are too stubborn to not seek help when you're depressed, it was probably better to move on into the void to alleviate the pain. He could've tried saving himself at all times. He killed himself, not her. I would've asked someone to kill themselves as well if they bug me with their constant depressive thoughts. That $#%^ is draining af.
Casanova
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sixoclock0 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:50 am

Wrong Mr malignant narc. I have the law on my side. You can try to fumble with this and that, with irrelevant justification.
Everyone is responsible for their actions, including intentions. Especially if there are actions that correlate with intentions.
Dx: Bipolar II DepressionAnxietyPTSD

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Postby Midwinter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:59 am

Sixoclock0 wrote:Wrong Mr malignant narc. I have the law on my side. You can try to fumble with this and that, with irrelevant justification.
Everyone is responsible for their actions, including intentions. Especially if there are actions that correlate with intentions.

So if someone persuades me to pee on the sidewalk, and the police arrests me, they should also arrest my friend for his intention of making me do it? :lol:
Casanova
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post