Our partner

Michelle Carter text suicide trial ruling

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

What would your verdict be?

Guilty
53%
Not guilty
47%

Total votes : 15

Re: Michelle Carter text suicide trial ruling

Postby SweetSlumber » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:12 pm

ElephantEyes wrote:Guilty. He would still be alive if she didn't text him.

How do you know that?

I think people like to call her guilty because humans tend to look for somebody to blame if something bad happens. They don't know what to do with their negative emotions so they look for a target that they can freely hate. That's why we have superstitions, witch hunts etc.

But reality is more complicated than a story for little children, and there isn't always an evil overlord behind all the bad stuff that's happening.
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ElephantEyes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

SweetSlumber wrote:
ElephantEyes wrote:Guilty. He would still be alive if she didn't text him.

How do you know that?

I think people like to call her guilty because humans tend to look for somebody to blame if something bad happens. They don't know what to do with their negative emotions so they look for a target that they can freely hate. That's why we have superstitions, witch hunts etc.

But reality is more complicated than a story for little children, and there isn't always an evil overlord behind all the bad stuff that's happening.

I am looking at it from a legal perspective. Guilty or not guilty. Law doesnt go by emotion as you are doing. Its clinical and black and white. You sound like a bleeding heart.
ElephantEyes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 am

Postby Quoth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Given the amount of dismay at the sentence I have to ask, what is the virtue of allowing Ms Carter to retain her freedom? Or her life for that matter?
Quoth
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Postby Eight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm

She instigated, antagonized, and used her influence with him to get him to suicide.
She is guilty of that. Legally and morally.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SweetSlumber » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 pm

@Elephantize I would post a picture of a bleeding heart, but I'm worried that would earn me a ban.

On a serious note, trying to see a matter from a different perspective is one of the virtues I still believe in. It would be nice if more people practiced it.
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 am

Postby Macaria88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:59 am

Quoth wrote:Given the amount of dismay at the sentence I have to ask, what is the virtue of allowing Ms Carter to retain her freedom? Or her life for that matter?

There is none.
Macaria88
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Postby smoke40s » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I think it's total BS that being mean to someone resulting in their suicide is counted as murder.

If someone kills themselves over something another person says, it's because they already wanted to die. That's on them.

If someone is happier dead, let em commit suicide. Assisting them and giving them that extra push to finally have the guts to actually do it seems like more of a service than anything.

What are they contributing to society other than depressing everyone around them.
bleep bloop
smoke40s
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Postby Eight » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 pm

She wasn't just being mean. She was complicit in his suicide.

He was only 18. He hadn't lived enough years to make a final decision yet whether his life was worth living.

I believe in suicide for those who have had enough experience living that they can make a wise choice to die. I think there should be a means to allow for that to legally happen. I don't know how to put an age/stage on that. But 18 is too young.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post