Our partner

The victim role

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

The victim role

Postby Mitmit » Sun May 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Do you ever honestly take on the role of a victim, I don't mean to manipulate, I mean because you feel sorry for yourself?
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The victim role

Postby eterea107 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Mitmit wrote:Do you ever honestly take on the role of a victim, I don't mean to manipulate, I mean because you feel sorry for yourself?

No, I do not. I don't see myself as a victim. I've never said "I am a victim of _____." I cringe when I've been called a "survivor."

I don't feel sorry for myself. Life isn't fair, it's a fact. I know that I am responsible for my happiness and how I choose to live my life. If I have a setback, I know it is up to me to get back on track.
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Postby Reaper » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I don't take the role of victim ever, unless it's to manipulate people. I have felt self-pity at times, but that's not about seeing myself as the victim, it's about seeing others as the problem and/or circumstances being out of my control.
Last edited by Reaper on Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Dulcet » Sun May 21, 2017 11:05 pm

my father claims I do this a lot, but I don't see it.
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby eterea107 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 am

Dulcet wrote:my father claims I do this a lot, but I don't see it.

He might be projecting - he may have thoughts of his parenting and whether he did his best, etc. Meaning, it may be *his* issue when you want to discuss a matter that is of concern to you.
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Mon May 22, 2017 5:39 am

actually, going by her posts she does play the victim role and even her husband 'orchestrates it as so' - to make her look like the victim even after perpetrating whatever.

doesn't sound like you're very good at it though if people around you call you on it.

i play the victim role lots and have never once been caught. i've been caught for other things though.

-- Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 am --

eterea107 wrote:
Mitmit wrote:Do you ever honestly take on the role of a victim, I don't mean to manipulate, I mean because you feel sorry for yourself?

No, I do not. I don't see myself as a victim. I've never said "I am a victim of _____." I cringe when I've been called a "survivor."

i agree i hate that term. it's also very generalized to all child abuse, even when quite mild by previous generations' standards.

-- Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 am --

eterea107 wrote:I don't feel sorry for myself. Life isn't fair, it's a fact. I know that I am responsible for my happiness and how I choose to live my life. If I have a setback, I know it is up to me to get back on track.

that said, it can be self-soothing when you lack the ability to internalize tenderness from others.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon May 22, 2017 6:30 am

I've played hurt and upset before; I guess that's a type of playing victim.

It's hard to keep it going though.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby eterea107 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:49 am

justonemoreperson wrote:I've played hurt and upset before; I guess that's a type of playing victim.

It's hard to keep it going though.

What was your motivation behind portraying yourself as a victim?

For example:

- gaining sympathy as the "victim" for deflecting a responsibility you don't want
- playing the victim role for financial gain ("I work so hard at my job, but they won't pay overtime and the low hourly wage barely covers my rent and we run low on food every month.")
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 am

eterea107 wrote:What was your motivation behind portraying yourself as a victim?

Normally it was a last-ditch attempt at getting myself out of the sh1t.

For example, if I'd been caught out doing stuff or saying something I shouldn't then I'd usually try to turn it around onto the other person and then make out that their behaviour insulted or emotionally hurt me.

It used to work with previous partners to a point. It doesn't work now, as my wife knows about my condition, so now it just raises an eyebrow.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby julllia » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

or that is was the other person fault in some way.

^that is what i call blame shifting or shame shifting.they did to me my whole life. at the end i lost empathy because of it. and when they blame shifted i thought go ###$ yourself and abandoned them.
i lost it in such extent that if you were dying for real and being sick i would leave you.

is like the story when you cry wold for a joke all the time,when the real wolf comes noone will save you.
i like your wife that sees it and still want to be with you. because it made me not want the other person
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post