Our partner

How Do You Feel About Authority Figures

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

How Do You Feel About Authority Figures

Postby Reaper » Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 am

I feel a lot of hostility towards people in positions of authority (especially when dealing with them), this includes police officers, doctors, psychologists and even my mother when she's trying to tell me how to live my life (I know she's only doing it because she cares, but it still pisses me off. I'm an adult now. I don't need anyone telling me how to live my life).

I can't stand anyone telling me what to do or not to do, but I think the biggest issue I have with people in authority is trust. My experiences have taught me that no-one can ever really be trusted.

It's not just hostility and lack of trust though. I have a lot anger in me. I feel like I'm angry at everyone. At the entire fuking world, but it's the people who think they have authority over me that really bring out the worst in me.

- When you have to interact with them for whatever reason, how do you feel about police officers, doctors, psychologists and/or teachers (if you're in school or uni) etc? Have you had issues with them in the past? Explain.

- Were you're parents/caregivers very disciplined with you while growing up? Did you ever feel like they were trying to control your life? How did you react to their discipline and/or lectures?
Dx: AsPD, Schizoid PD and some narcissism for good measure.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How Do You Feel About Authority Figures

Postby Havvva » Fri May 19, 2017 3:19 am

Reaper wrote:- When you have to interact with them for whatever reason, how do you feel about police officers, doctors, psychologists and/or teachers (if you're in school or uni) etc? Have you had issues with them in the past? Explain.

On the inside i'm irritated. I can't stand anyone trying to implement control over my life. I haven't had issues with them before, though. I maintain a respectable presence and show them what they want to see, get on their good side. It can be beneficial when an authority figure likes you.
- Were you're parents/caregivers very disciplined with you while growing up? Did you ever feel like they were trying to control your life? How did you react to their discipline and/or lectures?

My parents were extremely strict with me growing up. To the point where I stopped listening. As a kid, I would get extremely angry and throw and break things in my room whenever they would ground me or I didn't get my way. As I grew up I became less of a hot-head and developed new tactics for getting what I need. Eventually I would get away with everything.
Havvva
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Postby SweetSlumber » Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 am

I don't trust authority figures, which is part of why therapy doesn't work with me, and I don't trust medical practitioners either.

I've had bad experiences with medical practitioners, teachers, police and others. When I was a kid it was the teachers who were bullying me, the other kids were okay. When I was ill, doctors were dumb and incompetent, I ended up finding the solution on my own. When I needed the police to help, they did ###$ all.

My parents weren't disciplined at all, on the contrary, they tended to neglect me. When I visited my friends, I felt weird when I saw that the kid's parent would sit down with them to do homework. At my home nobody cared about that and I only did homework in school, right before the class, if at all.
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 am

Postby TameQueen » Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 am

- When you have to interact with them for whatever reason, how do you feel about police officers, doctors, psychologists and/or teachers (if you're in school or uni) etc? Have you had issues with them in the past? Explain.

I always have my guard up. I learned early on not to trust authority figures. The first psychologist described me as manipulative, which my mother used against me. Not a great first experience. I also was constantly getting detention or ISS. Teachers only liked me because I was smart, but constantly reprimanded me for behavior.

I would call them strict, controlling, and abusive. Didn't care about me, especially my mother, and I just a pawn used for control or to brag about. My accomplishments looked good on them as a parent. I was defiant as hell.
TameQueen
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Postby big Anatoly » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 am

This is one of my profound social "impediments", if you will, based purely off societies norms. I am a magnificent argumentuer, but grow very hostile in mere moments if nitwits with a taste of authority try to sprawl it upon me. My only clinical diagnosis' was gad when I was a itty boy and oppositional defiant disorder just after I turned 15 by this psychologist for I would react with marked hostility and aggressiveness to my incompetent teachers, my school had noted I had a "hearing" with old mum present which was proceeded by several sessions with like 3 psychologists, which I hated- and my argumentativeness countinued with a few male professors in the last years,

-- Thu May 18, 2017 8:54 pm --

I also have strong distaste for the police but refrain from raging against them when they talk to me. I have evaded citations and tickets many times with my comments and conversation.
big Anatoly
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Postby Reaper » Fri May 19, 2017 5:07 am

big Anatoly wrote:I also have strong distaste for the police but refrain from raging against them when they talk to me. I have evaded citations and tickets many times with my comments and conversation.

I tend to be a cocky with cops even though I know shouldn't be for my own benefit. I feel a LOT of hostility towards them. They represent control and I despise being controlled by anyone. When I feel like they're trying to exert their authority over me, that just boils my blood.

I am the only one who has authority over my life.
Last edited by Reaper on Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby big Anatoly » Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 am

That brings me to a question I thought of posing in this forum. Does anyone have law enforcement experience or want/plan to be an officer?
big Anatoly
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Postby Reaper » Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 am

big Anatoly wrote:That brings me to a question I thought of posing in this forum. Does anyone have law enforcement experience or want/plan to be an officer?

I'd be surprised if anyone here admits they're a cop if they are.

I thought about becoming a cop at one stage. I don't like cops at all, but I wouldn't mind being in that position myself.

Realistically though, I don't think I'd last too long in that career before getting fired for bad work ethic or some shlt.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dazz » Fri May 19, 2017 7:28 am

I'm pretty neutral, but I certainly don't trust them...most of the time I've had dealings with them was before I was an adult and then I was openly antagonistic if I didn't like how they were to me, but I learned pointless antagonism gets you in a cell, further hours added to detention (not that I ever turned up), or attention brought about the situation at home (which wouldn't suit me), so its better to be various degrees of subversive and sardonic depending on situation.

No if anything my parents were neglectful when it came to discipline, and they learned to not really bother as they'd never get the "sorry" they were after. My parents were never really around long enough to try to control my life, my parents broke up and my mom worked, I moved in with grandparents at 14 and I lived better than when with my mom, so tried to keep any trouble away from home, the one time my grandparents found out about something involving crime was when I stole some spray paint and other stuff from a store and used it around, and the police seeing our uniforms came to the school, they said they were gonna ring home so I hoped to get home before they did, but I knew I was too late and I just told my granddad and that was the end of it, he didn't really care that I did stuff (to a limit obviously), just that I'd try and lie about it.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 am

I've never found authority figures to be a problem, in fact I quite like them and tend to seek them out as they are useful to know and to be known to know.

I've had an issue at times when I've been arrested with the arresting officer etc but it's more to do with being stopped than the person themselves. After the initial arrest I'd usually start making conversation with them about stuff because I'd become bored waiting.
I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post