Our partner

Do You Feel Like An Outsider In Society?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Do You Feel Like An Outsider In Society?

Postby Reaper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 am

I've spent my entire life feeling like an outsider, like there's no place where I truly belong.

It's been made very clear to me that there's no place for people like me in society. I have to fuking pretend all the time just to fit in, to blend in. It makes me feel isolated and alienated.

It makes me angry, angry at society, angry at the entire fuking world.

Can you relate.

Do you feel like an outsider, or have you found your place in the world? Explain.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do You Feel Like An Outsider In Society?

Postby BigONote » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 am

i was not made for mass production. i've considered it a resource, although i used to hate the world. i have made a world that is mine. people like me are alone because we are spread out over time, the world can only hold so many.

He read “Comus” and was astounded by its silliness. He read through “Lycidas,” “Samson Agonistes,” and “Il Penseroso”— stilted and rather prissy in parts, he thought. He fared better with “Paradise Lost” and, like many before him, preferred Satan’s party to God’s.
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley; LSD and BSD Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
BigONote
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Dazz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:09 am

Is this the root to your antisocial personality reaps?

I have always felt an outsider, and while I am opposed to the current society, I am not against the idea of a society where I would still be an outsider, in fact I would have to be an outsider for my ideal society, I am Ethan at the end of The Searchers or The Operative in Serenity, I have no real place in the new civilization...except to bring it about and to maintain it when normies threaten to corrupt/weaken it by not being able to do what is necessary when action is needed.

So my outsider status has not contributed to my dislike of the current way of things (or not fundamentally anyway), it has however I believe contributed to my narcissism and egoism. It also helps to observe and understand humanity better and this contributes to both my low and high view of it.

While I say I am an outsider, I understand, if at the very least abstractly, that I am a part of a people/race, and people who I share fundamental views with, but even within this group, I am an outsider.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CreamFreak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 am

I don't feel like an outsider.
I have always fit in quite well.
Although in age, a massive disconnect between me and others has become more evident.
Dx: Bipolar 1
MBTI: INTJ/P
IQ: 118 (WAIS) (IQ of 80 in Verbal comprehension)
CreamFreak
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Postby Reaper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 am

Dazz wrote:Is this the root to your antisocial personality reaps?

I don't know because I've always been the way I am.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

Postby Lusid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah, always have done. I'm a weirdo. But society seems to mostly put up with it and leave me alone as long as I don't mess with them, which is nice. I can't fully be myself around people but I don't have to pretend I'm pretty, feminine and straight at least. Most people probably just write me off as a punk or blitzer. But I don't get along with actual punks, queers, goths or whatever subculture people assume I belong to.. they don't get me any more than regular people do. So I don't feel like I truly belong anywhere either.

When I get angry at the world it's cause they claim to be the "good guys" and uphold a moral, inclusive and understanding society.. and they've stilled figuratively burned me at the stake. Where's my ######6 sympathy if everyone else gets it? I hate hypocrites.
Strong ASPD traits with NPD/BPD undertones. Sadist, addict, diagnosed PTSD.
Lusid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

Postby Aeva117 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm not really sure what being an insider would consist of, so I have no idea. I think I've always been fairly neutral. I wasn't one of the "cool kids" in school, but I wasn't an outcast either. My group of friends has always consisted of people who were either just as disordered as me, or more so. We all had different issues, but were accepting of each other. Most of us blended in well enough that we got away with a lot.

As an adult, I don't fit in with what most would consider "normal", but I have no problem with that. My traits allow me to be good at my job, which is the most important aspect of my life. They don't really allow me to have relationships besides the few that I've maintained from my school years, but that too is fine by me. It does suck having to be masked so much of the time, but it's easier than dealing with the repercussions.

When it comes to other people, I'm definitely mostly schizoid.

I far more conscious of being different when it comes to my physical issues. Being in my 20s and using a walker or cane makes you stand out.
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) all grown up
Aeva117
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

i think someone can be an outsider in two senses.

you can be an outsider like the person described it above. like not fitting in.

but then you can also be an outsider in the sense you FEEL like an outsider even when people consider you a member of their group. i.e. detachment.

i think it is a symptom ^^ of many PDs, including Schizoid, Aspd, and NPD

although the sense of difference and disconnection vary. like Schzoids fear engulfment or loss of autonomy or whatever, Aspd and NPD see themselves are predators or too special to feel connected. probably paranoia prevents connection for the latter two as well.

like what does it mean to belong? is there a feeling associated with that? like Aspd can fit into a criminal subculture in that the people around them may be just like them but they won't feel connected. why? too paranoid, untrusting, etc. and belonging probably isn't a priority/front of mind.

like Op, do you want to belong? is this something you long for or do you even care?

you said it makes you angry but do you really care?

like myself i do feel like an outsider, and at times it really grips me and saddens me, but most of the time i just don't care, either because i am focused on other (more important) things or i simply lack the experience to feel the need.

we only really feel the need for something once we've lost it, imo. it's hard to appreciate things we never had. i was isolated as a kid so i have always had that as my benchmark, even when i was popular. i enjoyed being around people and still do but couldn't connect with them because i never learned to during my formative years.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby slimsally » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 pm

No, not really. I felt that way when I was a teenager, but I left the angst behind long ago. I get along pretty well with other people, and I’m frequently picked out for being hardworking and having a lot of potential for career growth.

I feel like an outsider sometimes because I don’t date anymore and have no plans to marry, but I see it as an opportunity to pursue my career goals more earnestly. I do feel sometimes I would like to marry to fit in more.
anxious/aloof/impulsive/former drinker
slimsally
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:55 pm

slimsally wrote:I feel like an outsider sometimes because I don’t date anymore and have no plans to marry.

although it depends on your location/circle, that is quite common nowadays.

do you feel more or less like an outsider depending where you are or is it just like one constant level?
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post