Our partner

DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Ada, CloudShark

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby slimsally » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this? I’m getting mine done in two days, and it sounds intense. The interviewer I spoke to on the phone said the evaluation would take about 2 hours. I don’t think telling the truth would be helpful to me.

Here is some background. I was a chemically dependent alcoholic for 4 years, and have 10 years of drinking problems under my belt. I went to rehab 5 years ago. I have previous arrests for public intoxication, drug possession, and assault. I also have some minor paraphernalia and traffic charges (like leaving the scene of an accident), but I’m guessing she won’t be able to see those. Correct me if I’m wrong. Does the interviewer have access to my previous criminal record? The drug possession was expunged, but I’m working on a super expungement for assault. PIs are minor, but I don’t know if she can see that I have them. I was charged with assault and battery on a police officer during the time of my arrest for DUI. My plan is to not tell her about the severity of my drinking problem, but I don’t know if I can sidestep the legal record.

I have some positive points going for me. I’m finishing up my degree and I work as a freelance editor and as a tutor at the college. I feel I should stress these positive aspects. Are there any other positive points I should make? I'm slightly concerned about my image as I was arrested with my girlfriend at the time and she will inevitably come up. I live in a conservative area where homosexuality is openly denounced. I feel this will put me in a negative light right away, and I think I should make up for that by highlighting my positive aspects right away.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to add that I was diagnosed with AsPD through court ordered therapy. I was also dx'd with SPD and I think Anxiety Disorder NOS and Dysthymic Disorder. These three may be unimportant here. Does anyone know if she can look into my diagnoses because they were through the legal system?
anxious/aloof/impulsive/former drinker
User avatar
slimsally
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby Zavatee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Since the DUI happened through the court system and is on your record, yes the interviewer will know about your rap sheet and ask you questions about it and will probably also know about your mental health diagnoses. The key thing will be to make them believe you've been successful in recovery without any slips and relapses. Even admitting to casual rare drinking will be considered alcohol abuse to them because of your priors so you just have to make sure to deny any current issues with drinking so they don't think of you as a recidivist. As long as you give the impression that your life is going well and your charges are all from the past before you recovered, they should pass you for the interview as long as they don't hear from anyone who knows you that you still have an alcohol problem. Deny that you're doing anything like you did in your prior record and they will have no reason to force any new restraints on you for the DUI. If they believe you successfully recovered, there won't be any further repercussions like forced therapy.
User avatar
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 am
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby seeminglyplain » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Going off your previous treatment records you're going to get CDT again for sure. During a chem evaluation they can see your criminal and driving records because you have to bring them with you, and if you don't sign the forms for them to speak to witnesses they'll say the evaluation is incomplete. The witnesses are the most important part and you need to have people that are on your side and know what to say to get the outcome you want. And don't have anything in your system because you will probably get piss tested. I wouldn't worry about the homo sh1t, because all they'll really care about is ticking off boxes that match up with substance abuse in the dsm.

If I was you I would be more worried about the AsPD dx than substance abuse. At least with the substance abuse dx you can turn that into a redemption story of sorts later in your life and get some benefit out of it. With the apd dx every person in the medical and legal system you deal with is going to think you're lying and running some sort of game on them. I'm pretty sure there is some law that states when you get dx'ed it has to be the least restrictive diagnoses available. I thought that this was why people with chemical dependency shouldn't be dx'ed with a pd until the addiction had been resolved. I've been looking into this as a way to get my AsPD dx changed to something different.
User avatar
seeminglyplain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby Courtier » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm

^Bipolar (mania), PTSD and substance abuse are usually the ways out of an AsPD dx. Just depends on your history, how you can spin it
-
Slimsally was a drinker so probably she can relate the antisocial behaviours to that rather than her own orientation; Higher education and being sober are both pluses but I know in the UK there is a reluctance to reinstate a licence when there are long term, 'aggravating' mental health conditions that would easily allow you to fall back into the previous cycles and therefore become a danger to people. Convincing them that the antisocial stuff was all about the alcoholism would probably be the best way to approach it, since you haven't got the time to try to alter your current dx. Tie them together then make sure to shut it all down and show that you are no longer dependent.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:56 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby slimsally » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 am

Zavatee wrote:Since the DUI happened through the court system and is on your record, yes the interviewer will know about your rap sheet and ask you questions about it and will probably also know about your mental health diagnoses.


Good to know, thanks. I wasn’t sure if she would know about the dx’s or not.

seeminglyplain wrote:Going off your previous treatment records you're going to get CDT again for sure.


Ah, hell.

seeminglyplain wrote:During a chem evaluation they can see your criminal and driving records because you have to bring them with you, and if you don't sign the forms for them to speak to witnesses they'll say the evaluation is incomplete. The witnesses are the most important part and you need to have people that are on your side and know what to say to get the outcome you want. And don't have anything in your system because you will probably get piss tested. I wouldn't worry about the homo sh1t, because all they'll really care about is ticking off boxes that match up with substance abuse in the dsm.


I have a friend who I know will help me with the witness part, but I’m worried the interviewer will want a family member as well. I’m not sure who would be willing to lie for me there. I won’t be consuming anything before the appointment. I’m always prepared for a UA when it comes to court stuff now.

seeminglyplain wrote:If I was you I would be more worried about the AsPD dx than substance abuse. At least with the substance abuse dx you can turn that into a redemption story of sorts later in your life and get some benefit out of it. With the apd dx every person in the medical and legal system you deal with is going to think you're lying and running some sort of game on them. I'm pretty sure there is some law that states when you get dx'ed it has to be the least restrictive diagnoses available. I thought that this was why people with chemical dependency shouldn't be dx'ed with a pd until the addiction had been resolved. I've been looking into this as a way to get my AsPD dx changed to something different.


Interesting. Maybe I can get my dx changed, too. That would certainly be helpful. Thank you for the response. Informative and helpful.

Courtier wrote:^Bipolar (mania), PTSD and substance abuse are usually the ways out of an AsPD dx. Just depends on your history, how you can spin it.

Slimsally was a drinker so probably she can relate the antisocial behaviours to that rather than her own orientation; Higher education and being sober are both pluses but I know in the UK there is a reluctance to reinstate a licence when there are long term, 'aggravating' mental health conditions that would easily allow you to fall back into the previous cycles and therefore become a danger to people. Convincing them that the antisocial stuff was all about the alcoholism would probably be the best way to approach it, since you haven't got the time to try to alter your current dx. Tie them together then make sure to shut it all down and show that you are no longer dependent.


That’s a good idea. I haven’t been arrested in several years, so I can say I was a victim of substance abuse.
anxious/aloof/impulsive/former drinker
User avatar
slimsally
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby Dulcet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:10 am

I did this before. You fill out some test, some of it will be the MMPI, then they ask you questions about past drug use. If you try to look too perfect they think you're lying, if you sound like a mess it's a problem. Not a big deal.
User avatar
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:50 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby seeminglyplain » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 am

slimsally wrote:
I have a friend who I know will help me with the witness part, but I’m worried the interviewer will want a family member as well. I’m not sure who would be willing to lie for me there. I won’t be consuming anything before the appointment. I’m always prepared for a UA when it comes to court stuff now.


They'll want people that are close to you. If you say that you haven't seen your family in years they wont specifically ask for them. All I had to do was sign some forms and give three names of people that could be contacted. It was up to me to get them to contact the woman doing the evaluation and she told me that it wouldn't be completed until she had spoken with them. This made it easy because how the fukc would they know who they're talking with on the phone.
User avatar
seeminglyplain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DUI Drug and Alcohol Evaluation

Postby slimsally » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Dulcet wrote:I did this before. You fill out some test, some of it will be the MMPI, then they ask you questions about past drug use. If you try to look too perfect they think you're lying, if you sound like a mess it's a problem. Not a big deal.


Are you talking about the SASSI? Because I’ve already had to take that one. Btw, did the interviewer ever mention anything about scoring on a “brutal scale”? The lady asked me about it and said I scored high on it. I think it was just to measure antisocial tendencies, but I thought it was funny that I was deemed “brutal.” How metal.

seeminglyplain wrote:They'll want people that are close to you. If you say that you haven't seen your family in years they wont specifically ask for them. All I had to do was sign some forms and give three names of people that could be contacted. It was up to me to get them to contact the woman doing the evaluation and she told me that it wouldn't be completed until she had spoken with them. This made it easy because how the fukc would they know who they're talking with on the phone.


Yeah, that’s true. I didn’t think they would be that careless about talking to witnesses. I could do funny voices on the phone even. My evaluation is tomorrow, so I’ll see how it goes.
anxious/aloof/impulsive/former drinker
User avatar
slimsally
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm
Local time: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caspin, kcalbrm, mhkooskj, Samuikari and 120 guests

cron