Our partner

Are you unique or generic? + Jung's archetypes

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Otter

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Are you unique or generic? + Jung's archetypes

Postby MotherRussia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:38 am

Sometimes I think I am unique then I get a reality check and realise I probably am just a generic stereotype. Its humbling.

Do you think you are unique, or are you also a generic stereotype?

I think everyone is a bit unique, but how many people are truly, outstandingly unique? Very rare.

Do you relate to one of these 12 Archetypes?

The Ego Types

1. The Innocent
Motto: Free to be you and me
Core desire: to get to paradise
Goal: to be happy
Greatest fear: to be punished for doing something bad or wrong
Strategy: to do things right
Weakness: boring for all their naive innocence
Talent: faith and optimism
The Innocent is also known as: Utopian, traditionalist, naive, mystic, saint, romantic, dreamer.

2. The Orphan/Regular Guy or Gal
Motto: All men and women are created equal
Core Desire: connecting with others
Goal: to belong
Greatest fear: to be left out or to stand out from the crowd
Strategy: develop ordinary solid virtues, be down to earth, the common touch
Weakness: losing one's own self in an effort to blend in or for the sake of superficial relationships
Talent: realism, empathy, lack of pretense
The Regular Person is also known as: The good old boy, everyman, the person next door, the realist, the working stiff, the solid citizen, the good neighbor, the silent majority.

3. The Hero
Motto: Where there's a will, there's a way
Core desire: to prove one's worth through courageous acts
Goal: expert mastery in a way that improves the world
Greatest fear: weakness, vulnerability, being a "chicken"
Strategy: to be as strong and competent as possible
Weakness: arrogance, always needing another battle to fight
Talent: competence and courage
The Hero is also known as: The warrior, crusader, rescuer, superhero, the soldier, dragon slayer, the winner and the team player.

4. The Caregiver
Motto: Love your neighbour as yourself
Core desire: to protect and care for others
Goal: to help others
Greatest fear: selfishness and ingratitude
Strategy: doing things for others
Weakness: martyrdom and being exploited
Talent: compassion, generosity
The Caregiver is also known as: The saint, altruist, parent, helper, supporter.

The Soul Types

5. The Explorer
Motto: Don't fence me in
Core desire: the freedom to find out who you are through exploring the world
Goal: to experience a better, more authentic, more fulfilling life
Biggest fear: getting trapped, conformity, and inner emptiness
Strategy: journey, seeking out and experiencing new things, escape from boredom
Weakness: aimless wandering, becoming a misfit
Talent: autonomy, ambition, being true to one's soul
The explorer is also known as: The seeker, iconoclast, wanderer, individualist, pilgrim.

6. The Rebel
Motto: Rules are made to be broken
Core desire: revenge or revolution
Goal: to overturn what isn't working
Greatest fear: to be powerless or ineffectual
Strategy: disrupt, destroy, or shock
Weakness: crossing over to the dark side, crime
Talent: outrageousness, radical freedom
The Outlaw is also known as: The rebel, revolutionary, wild man, the misfit, or iconoclast.

7. The Lover
Motto: You're the only one
Core desire: intimacy and experience
Goal: being in a relationship with the people, work and surroundings they love
Greatest fear: being alone, a wallflower, unwanted, unloved
Strategy: to become more and more physically and emotionally attractive
Weakness: outward-directed desire to please others at risk of losing own identity
Talent: passion, gratitude, appreciation, and commitment
The Lover is also known as: The partner, friend, intimate, enthusiast, sensualist, spouse, team-builder.

8. The Creator
Motto: If you can imagine it, it can be done
Core desire: to create things of enduring value
Goal: to realize a vision
Greatest fear: mediocre vision or execution
Strategy: develop artistic control and skill
Task: to create culture, express own vision
Weakness: perfectionism, bad solutions
Talent: creativity and imagination
The Creator is also known as: The artist, inventor, innovator, musician, writer or dreamer.

The Self Types

9. The Jester
Motto: You only live once
Core desire: to live in the moment with full enjoyment
Goal: to have a great time and lighten up the world
Greatest fear: being bored or boring others
Strategy: play, make jokes, be funny
Weakness: frivolity, wasting time
Talent: joy
The Jester is also known as: The fool, trickster, joker, practical joker or comedian.

10. The Sage
Motto: The truth will set you free
Core desire: to find the truth.
Goal: to use intelligence and analysis to understand the world.
Biggest fear: being duped, misled—or ignorance.
Strategy: seeking out information and knowledge; self-reflection and understanding thought processes.
Weakness: can study details forever and never act.
Talent: wisdom, intelligence.
The Sage is also known as: The expert, scholar, detective, advisor, thinker, philosopher, academic, researcher, thinker, planner, professional, mentor, teacher, contemplative.

11. The Magician
Motto: I make things happen.
Core desire: understanding the fundamental laws of the universe
Goal: to make dreams come true
Greatest fear: unintended negative consequences
Strategy: develop a vision and live by it
Weakness: becoming manipulative
Talent: finding win-win solutions
The Magician is also known as:The visionary, catalyst, inventor, charismatic leader, shaman, healer, medicine man.

12. The Ruler
Motto: Power isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Core desire: control
Goal: create a prosperous, successful family or community
Strategy: exercise power
Greatest fear: chaos, being overthrown
Weakness: being authoritarian, unable to delegate
Talent: responsibility, leadership
The Ruler is also known as: The boss, leader, aristocrat, king, queen, politician, role model, manager or administrator.

source: http://www.soulcraft.co/essays/the_12_c ... types.html
WOOT
MotherRussia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are you unique or generic? + Jung's archetypes

Postby Courtier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 am

Jung believed that these archetypes only exist in the collective unconscious. That they cannot be present in reality. They exist in a realm outside of reality in the same way Plato's Forms do. Any reflection of the archetypes is like a shadow of their true reality flickering on the cave, because the world taints the pure Forms.

It's the beginning of evolutionary psychology, I guess. He says that our development has lead to us having these archetypes and viewing the world, people, etc. through the lens. The 12 persons described here are not real people who exist in reality but ways in which we distort reality in order to fit the narrative of the collective unconscious archetypes that it would most easily fit.

How do you feel about the idea of a collective unconscious? Do you believe there are things that we all believe that rest beneath our thoughts due to our evolution?
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 am

Postby MotherRussia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:48 am

Courtier wrote:Jung believed that these archetypes only exist in the collective unconscious. That they cannot be present in reality. They exist in a realm outside of reality in the same way Plato's Forms do. Any reflection of the archetypes is like a shadow of their true reality flickering on the cave, because the world taints the pure Forms.

It's the beginning of evolutionary psychology, I guess. He says that our development has lead to us having these archetypes and viewing the world, people, etc. through the lens. The 12 persons described here are not real people who exist in reality but ways in which we distort reality in order to fit the narrative of the collective unconscious archetypes that it would most easily fit.

Thanks for this info. I didn't know this.

How do you feel about the idea of a collective unconscious? Do you believe there are things that we all believe that rest beneath our thoughts due to our evolution?

I think there is a collective unconscious. Billions of people follow the same religion because it speaks to something in common. And, there are similar lines of thought that underlie most of the religions, as if it appeals to something universal in the human.

Although they end up fighting each other, but that's another story. I believe they don't realise how similar they are, but are led to believe they are fighting for different ends. Again, different story.

There is something cohesive in the human experience. I think that is what Jung meant. I think these archetypes help provide some order to life and the people we encounter. Many people I know can fit within a type, it seems. Not perfectly. But does it need to be a perfect match? Perhaps just recognising the pattern can help give order.
WOOT
MotherRussia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Postby Dazz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 am

I am the creating rebel, exploring sage.

Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:38 am

Courtier wrote:

You made some interesting points. To the one above:

We subconsciously believe things according to experience, which is persistent enough to be sub-conscious and something is needed to break through the subconscious to make us re-evaluate our position. Often, as the subconscious resists a challenge, these new ideas have to take on more subtle forms.

For example, for thousands of years we believed that we existed on the earth and our perspective and expectations would always be of our place on the earth. So our inherited sub-conscious placed us on the surface of the planet.

Trying to tell people that you'd be able to fly off the planet wouldn't be accepted, which is where creativity comes from; it aids our social evolution.

Jules Verne's book "Rocket to the Moon" is ridiculous by today's standards but it presented a fictional (and therefore 'safe' to the sub-conscious) idea that we might be able to break away from our planet and travel into space.

So man looked up and was able to consider the possibility and now we can go into space with such regularity that it's become mundane. Granted, this is only one example, but it presents a way of breaking through our subconscious conditioning.

So, if you want to learn things we already accept as true then we can learn "factual" things. If we want to expand out of what we believe to be true and into a greater understanding then we need to read fiction and entertain thoughts that are far removed from how we think currently.
I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby julllia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm

I relate with nothing. Is more easy to say what you would wish to be than what you actually are from these.
I like 6,7,8,11.
I think I am nothing of these.i just like them more. It makes more angry that I feel i can't be those that I want lol.
But I do not relate with the other that I do not like either. Some of the rest are OK some I do not like to be at all
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:47 am

Postby TheScaredGirl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Sometimes I would like to be less unique. Although I think in many ways I am ordinary and probably even boring, there are many experiences I simply don't share with others. Uniqueness is often praised as being special and wonderful, but to fall outside of a bell curve is to be alone, and raise suspicion even when intentions are pure. If one is truly unique, they're viewed as either a threat or a savior.

I think I somewhat fit The Innocent, The Creator, and The Ruler.
TheScaredGirl
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Postby Dulcet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:30 pm

I dont relate to these, I made up my own

The Cold Wind
Motto: Everyday I'm hustlin
Core desire: freedom, power
Goal: doing whatever they feel like
Greatest fear: being trapped and bored
Strategy: removing obstacles, and decimating systems and people that oppress
Weakness: can be too obsessive and paranoid about oppression, will destroy you in their aims
Talent: charming, inspiring, seems incredibly sincere, can play different roles rapidly, able to move on to the next thing quickly

Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby caspin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:30 pm

I am a rebel.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 am

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:16 pm

everyone is unique. nobody shares the same experiences. in the end its the meaning we assign to our experiences that give us our own sense of uniqueness.

people who feel alone because they feel different are assigning a certain meaning to their experiences that are making them feel that way.

even just for me, i found if i interpreted something that happened to me as 'abuse' this made me feel more disconnected from people than if i interpreted it as innocuous or common, which could be done by seeing the commonalities in the experience with other experiences deemed by society 'nonabusive'.

so uniqueness is the meaning we attribute to our experiences, or the meaning society attributes and which we internalize as our own, rather than an objective thing.

-- Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:22 pm --

Courtier wrote:Jung believed that these archetypes only exist in the collective unconscious. That they cannot be present in reality. They exist in a realm outside of reality in the same way Plato's Forms do. Any reflection of the archetypes is like a shadow of their true reality flickering on the cave, because the world taints the pure Forms.

ya it's called human nature lol
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum