Our partner

Do you believe in god?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Ada, CloudShark

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Do you believe in god?

Postby julllia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Before you somewhere in this thread. I am bored to quote. Some posts above/before.I was talking in general not only for you. But no quote
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby OneRinger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 am

julllia wrote:Also since you were discussing before this is what forgiveness is about. If you honestly feel remorse and guilty and try to fix the bad things you have done and change, you could be forgiven and go to heaven?

Catholics and Orthodox Christians believe that, or eventually believed that. It's not all kinds of bad though, mostly those that reject existence or goodness in general. The problem is that people get bogged down on the concept of Heavens, but if you simply replace it with happiness, which in the end is what it represents, it is more understandable. What happens when you die is more or less a continuation on how you lived.

Protestants believe you only need to believe, and everything will be forgotten. One denomination believes everything is predetermined, so it does not matter what you do.
OneRinger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 am

Postby Midwinter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes. It's called probability, and everything in this world is based on it.

And I find the universe as my god. I am accountable to the universe and to further its entropy, because I cannot stop doing so.
MALIGNANT NARCISSIST
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 am

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 pm

i believe in God in the non-literal, non-corporeal (bodily) sense. he is basically nature, and includes us! as told in the bible. we are God.

so i agree with Oneringer in that if you interpret religion metaphorically or as symbols for other things, then it makes sense and is plausible.

like if you literally replace 'God' with 'Nature' at every point in the bible, it makes total sense from a modern physics perspective.

well barring the earth being created in 7 days or whatever (or was it 4?)
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 am

Postby Courtier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:48 pm

I always thought the idea of mutually making somebody else your life and reason for living is kind of hot. In the absolutely unhealthy possessive, obsessive sense that cripples you because of your want for them. Desire is sexy. Also pathetic. Hmm. How do I reconcile these views? I suppose in this construct I never let it become a neediness. It isn't weak. You want it badly but you don't submit to it. So not your God. Not your religion.

That was disappointing. I should stop thinking my way out of ideas. Wanted to write something sexy but now I've ruined it.

-- Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:56 pm --

Hmm... Do you believe that you can choose what you believe and if so what do you believe lead you to choosing that point of view and why do you believe you choose to believe that you believe that, (and so on)?
Last edited by Courtier on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dulcet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:57 pm

"I am from above. You are from below"
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Courtier wrote:Hmm... Do you believe that you can choose what you believe and if so what do you believe lead you to choosing that point of view and why do you believe you choose to believe that you believe that, (and so on)?

predisposition doesn't negate choice!

sheeshh
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Courtier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm not sure. I think we have free will (literally, freedom of will, without a God or any other entity meddling with our desires, urges, etc.) but other than that I follow a deterministic world view which would state that each event is the result of all the consequences before it.

Whether there is only one possible reality that happens after all the events before it is tricky to know, because I don't have a rigorous understanding of quantum mechanics. But it seems as though, even if there is a probabilistic reality, that is out of our control inasmuch as the evolution of the universe was leading up to the formation of earth, life, people, your parents, you, your environment, etc. are. I am not convinced that our choices are things we choose to believe. We just do. They arent implanted by a God but I don't know if we are really in control. There isn't a moment where the universe stops and says 'Okay, you decide'!'. I can seek out new information and change views but I dont think I am really in control of that - I just observe myself doing it and think I am.

Also, no, I do not believe in a God.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 pm

i am so not getting into this right now

choice doesn't negate causality!

think of choice like a special kind of cause. all causes leading up to the choice cause are specially altered by the choice cause before becoming output!

in other words, choice is not simply one of the billiard balls.

it's SPECIAL

like your retarded brother
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Courtier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 pm

The question is whether we can choose which 'choice' we choose. I don't know. How would we prove it?
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum