Our partner

Negative Impact

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Negative Impact

Postby MotherRussia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:45 am

eterea107 wrote:My ex-husband was diagnosed as a Narcissist when we both had psych evals during our divorce. We'd been together for many years and I didn't know he had a PD. In retrospect and after I read up on the PD, I realized I'd been gaslighted, etc. I realized I was not married for love. He married me because of my appearance and my ability to make money.

I harbor no ill will against him so I feel I can objectively post about him.

I do not think he is a happy man. I think he is an insecure man even though he's attractive and does well at his job, and can present well to people. But he is so insecure inside. He's obsessed with his appearance and constantly looks for flaws like his hair not being perfectly styled.

He has to drive a luxury car (two cars, actually) and live in a luxury home. He exudes an aura of an extremely successful business man that is society's epitome of "success."

He is the most passive-aggressive person I've ever met. He uses that to control people and maybe cause them stress/pain?

He always has to be right. Always. There is only one way - his.

He cannot genuinely apologize to anyone for anything, even if he is in the wrong. He cannot be wrong because that would show the world he is not perfect. Or perhaps he thinks everyone is stupid, I'm not sure. It's never his fault, I do know that.

He cannot associate with anyone that does not meet his standards because it might reflect poorly on him. He associates with trendy people, goes to trendy restaurants...very material person. He likes the newest gadget/phone so others know how "cutting edge" he is.

He's very athletic and is on a sports team. He ALWAYS is the best player on the team, he says. If they lose, it is because the players are not as good as he is. I think he truly believes this. He has said this for twenty years. Every team.

He has to be in control of everything around him, including people. He doesn't care if they don't like being controlled. Their needs are irrelevant. It's all about him. He doesn't like who he is and spends his life in a facade of perfection to the world.

He can engage in small talk but only briefly. He's not a conversationalist. I always thought he was just introverted. He had me do the small talk at company business parties. If we went to a restaurant...he would have me order for him. For some reason he feels uncomfortable and falters. And he can't look bad as that's not an option in his world.

In a way, he is a shell of a human being. It's kind of sad.

Hi,

Your story reminds me a little bit of a relative's. She is going through a divorce and says the husband is a Narcissist/Psychopath. Its been hellish.

He makes an incredible amount of money and she was able to be a housewife and stay home with their kids. Which, to most people would seem sort of idyllic, living in one of the most expensive neighborhoods around and apparently living in luxury. It makes you imagine that what goes on behind doors really is quite different from the outside view.

She has tried to introspect on what caused her to be attracted to him. I think it has been a bit humbling to her, in the end, that she ended up in that situation.

Have you introspected on why you were attracted to such a disordered person?

I hope this question doesn't sound too personal or judgmental. Its not my intention. I tend to be attracted to the disordered as well, so I'm asking partly to gain more insight into myself, and for anyone else reading who can relate.
MotherRussia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Audacisist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:13 am

Mania grandiosity is delusional, like believing you are a god or a demi god and therefore bullets can't kill you, psychotic stuff like that. It comes from an actual change in brain function that is different from normal functioning and the episodes come and go.

NPD grandiosity is caused by insecurity and feeling the need to be better than everyone and trying to prove it to overcompensate for being insecure and needy of validation from others. That's a dysfunctional personality trait.

Manic grandiosity is way more extreme because it's out of touch with reality and accompanied by irritability and excessive amounts of physical and mental energy during the manic episodes. NPD grandiosity is not psychotic or dangerous. It's more realistic things such as wanting to be the best businessman and putting all of one's energy into excelling at the career to prove it to oneself.
Audacisist
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 am

Postby MotherRussia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:51 am

Audacisist wrote:Mania grandiosity is delusional, like believing you are a god or a demi god and therefore bullets can't kill you, psychotic stuff like that. It comes from an actual change in brain function that is different from normal functioning and the episodes come and go.

NPD grandiosity is caused by insecurity and feeling the need to be better than everyone and trying to prove it to overcompensate for being insecure and needy of validation from others. That's a dysfunctional personality trait.

Manic grandiosity is way more extreme because it's out of touch with reality and accompanied by irritability and excessive amounts of physical and mental energy during the manic episodes. NPD grandiosity is not psychotic or dangerous. It's more realistic things such as wanting to be the best businessman and putting all of one's energy into excelling at the career to prove it to oneself.

This makes sense. :)

Mania is caused by chemical changes, but NPD is more about deeply rooted beliefs.

So Personality disorders stem more from the way people think and the beliefs they hold and how that makes them see themselves and the world and interact with it. While axis 1 is more to do with chemical changes in the brain.

That is actually making a lot of sense to me. Thank you for that explanation.
MotherRussia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:25 am

i used to think that as well...that one was 'chemical' and the other more learned.

but actually people with bipolar and schizophrenia tend to have similar personality traits. they are extroverted and have a strong need for importance/achievement.

in other words, while a more chemically unstable brain may be what is responsible, certain personality traits dispose people.

and possibly PD traits....the stronger the need for the importance the more disposed someone would be to mania or schizophrenia delusions sort of thing.

but that chemical imbalance or whatever, assuming the research is true, must also be there.

so while there are clear differences between the different types of conditions for sure...they are also more similar than i used to think...or feed into one another/are connected in some way
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:00 am

Postby Audacisist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:34 am

Yeah they can feed into each when the PD is chronic so Bipolar people with a PD will always have the PD whether they are manic, depressed, or normal and the personality traits can feed the delusions and the direction the mood episodes take. I don't know how it works in Schizophrenia and PDs combining so I can't comment on it but I know a lot about Bipolar.
Audacisist
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 am

Postby Eight » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Still, one is primarily chemical and one is engrained into the personality. So one has medication which can be assistive and one does not - thus the problem: how do you treat the personality? what even is a personality?
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 pm

personality is our patterned ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving based on an interaction between inborn temperament and experience interacting with the world and others enshrined in memory.

memory is important because it's what we refer to when thinking about how we should react to something, to the extent we think first. of course we don't always do and that's part of personality as well.

google defines personality as simply 'characteristic ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving' however i think that is inadequate for our purposes because it doesn't separate mood disorders from personality for example which could be stable characteristic of a person.

personality is what is underlying all the other stuff, that's why axis 1 disorders are treated first. it's a process of elimination. personality can also be determined making connections with the person's past, that is seeking to understand traits in the context of relationships with parents or early experiences.

mood disorder, while they may not just appear, are not 'learned' in the way personality is. much of personality is learned, so by understanding how someone learned to think, feel, and act the way they do in a patterned relatively stable way, one can also discover what that person's personality is.

usually understanding comes after description of something, but in the case of personality trying to understand first is part of and necessary to answering the 'what' question imo.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:00 am

Postby Eight » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:34 pm

Some would say personality is who you are... or who you think you are ( a simpler way of saying what crys grabbed from her google searches).

If personality is who you are, can you change it?
If personality is who you think you are, can you change that?
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 am

Eight wrote:If personality is who you are, can you change it?

I base my personality on my real life experiences and I assumed everyone else did the same. So, it makes me wonder how anyone can create a personality based on who they think they are. Surely they would have to know from experience that it's not who they really are.

What, in your opinion, define's who you really are? And, how do you know for certain that's not just who you think you are?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby julllia » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:52 am

Reaper wrote:
Eight wrote:If personality is who you are, can you change it?

I base my personality on my real life experiences and I assumed everyone else did the same. So, it makes me wonder how anyone can create a personality based on who they think they are. Surely they would have to know from experience that it's not who they really are.

What, in your opinion, define's who you really are? And, how do you know for certain that's not just who you think you are?

i do not know who i am.
these things confuse me so much. and i think i ask to the wrong part of forum.

(random example)but let's say someone is shy and he makes a conscious decision that he doesn't want to be shy anymore. he prefers to be extroverted. and succeed in doing that and he is not shy anymore,now he is social.
who is the real him?shy or not? why can't he be both? does he have to be only one?
i know if you are introverted you can never really change it deep down but shyness is something you can change.
why can't you be whatever you want ? and change personality. do you have to stuck with something you do not like. or do you have to find a way to love what you are without changing it.
i do not understand these questions about true self and fake self etc is so difficult
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post