Our partner

personality is not a potential...

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Ada, CloudShark

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

personality is not a potential...

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:39 am

agree/disagree?
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: personality is not a potential...

Postby ratatatat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 am

Everyone has more or less the same potential, aside from limitations in intelligence and body structure.

Which is what makes the stupid look even stupider. Because they were so close, but gave up. Boo fuking hoo.
ratatatat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Postby The Prisoner » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 am

A personality disorder will limit what you can do. If someone is schizoid, for example, they will be unable to care and that does limit what they can do. They might not see it that way but that is just because they don't care.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
The Prisoner
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:05 pm

personality is what you do not what you could do...

agree/disagree?
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fiveintime » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 pm

It's a little of both. The problem with "what you could do" is that if it's not actually proven, then it might be false. What you actually do is real. So, for the field of psychology, I think they only really care about what you do.

Like, if you need alcohol to cope, you're an alcoholic. Whether or not you could stop doesn't change anything. What defines the condition is that you don't stop drinking, not that you maybe could or couldn't.

That being said, some people have drinking problems and then stop and clean up, whereas, some never do. These are clearly different people, with different capabilities, so that has to be part of who they are too.

So, both. Or, "disagree," if you want me to choose one of your options.
I'm not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
fiveintime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

Postby MotherRussia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:49 am

Agree. Anything that is not a behaviour is just a fantasy.

A person may spend 8 hours per day fantasising about the crimes they would commit or things they want to do, but if they never act on those thoughts, it is just fantasy.

A personality consists of actions and behaviours that are outwardly observable, and occur in 3d, real world settings, with real world consequences. Anything that goes on in a person's mind or fantasies do not make up their personality, apart from indicating a fantasy-prone personality.
MotherRussia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 am

personality is how we relate to and interact with others, simply

this can be underpinned by different thoughts and feelings but it is what we do.

the other stuff is usually mentioned in relation to personality in order to understand it...but is not really it

like even popular usage we often think of personality as how someone acts, which includes things like thoughts and feelings but only expressed.

expressed thoughts and feelings are different from hidden and private, because they affect how you relate to people and the interaction.

like someone says...'i hate that person's personality'

it must be something they can see or hear, etc, or they wouldn't be able to make that judgement...it's not like they are guessing their private thoughts...although their private thoughts and feelings may explain their personality
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fiveintime » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:26 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:it must be something they can see or hear, etc, or they wouldn't be able to make that judgement...it's not like they are guessing their private thoughts...although their private thoughts and feelings may explain their personality

I feel like "personality" is only what's happening on the inside. Since we can't mind read, we turn to behavior to guess what's going on inside the mind. So, yeah--behavior matters, but only because it's the only way we can guess about inner experience.

Psychiatry must be a rough career sometimes.
I'm not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
fiveintime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:36 am

oh i see how you're coming at it.

so basically you're saying that people act in all sorts of ways, but why they do it speaks to personality because if we just looked at behaviour then given a certain situation in which people act more or less the same as expected there would be nothing to tell people apart...

that underneath they likely have different motivations, etc...reflecting their personality

yes, that's true...there were some things unstated before however

personality is what we do uniquely or relatively uniquely given the same situation.

so put 10 people in the same situation, how do they act? that's personality.

they may do some things the same, that doesn't count or is not relevant to personality as much as what they do differently.

that's what i meant by behaviour. behaviour unique to person. of course personalities are shared by people, so their unique behaviour is rarely entirely unique, unless we're going to be absurdly literal and count every subtle gestural difference though having the same meaning as a sign of uniqueness in the same situation..
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post