Our partner

Psychotherapy

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Psychotherapy

Postby carmensandiego » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:30 am

For those of you who've seen a psychologist, was it at all helpful? Harmful? Boring? Interesting? Mandated or by choice?

What was the experience like?
"There's that whole nature versus nurture question, isn't it? Was I born a cute, vindictive, little bitch or... did society make me that way? I go back and forth on that..."
carmensandiego
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychotherapy

Postby ratatatat » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:30 am

Never harmful, rarely interesting.

Totally depends on the therapist. Their style. Every therapist I've had served a very unique purpose. After they make the first round cut of not hideous to look at, then i evaluate their worth based on intelligence.

I had high hopes for the one i'm now. Maybe i was being too hard on her by showing up stoned. She had nothing to base any opinions on; there was a lot of dead silence. At the end of todays session, we simply concluded that she had been projecting her anxiety and insecurity on to me. She looked like she was about to cry. I even asked if she was okay - It was that bad. I was fairly unresponsive the whole time so it really did strike me as odd. Had she been uncomfortable the whole time? If so, why wasn't she saying anything? Was she aware of her projecting and simply did so to test me? Does she know when i am lying and when i'm not?

After playing the "im so broken" card that she dealt to me from her own deck, the last 5 minutes i looked her dead in the eye and explained how me being unresponsive is a coping mechanism to learn about the person i'm dealing with. Everything she suggested about me, i went along with. It was fairly clear how empty i was at the end though. I hadn't been thinking.. pondering her questions.. i just was wishing i never even went there in the first place. I am not learning a thing. It's basically turned into therapy for Her.

She's a PhD, but only graduated 2 years ago.

Maybe i'll let it slide. I do have full control, on a positive note, but what do i even want it for? It was given to me on a silver platter. Makes me want to spit. Throw a curve ball yah dumb bitch
ratatatat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Postby Dulcet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:58 pm

I got sent a lot as a kid. I never found it helpful or useful. It felt more like I was getting sent to confession. I shared one thing with her and she ended up calling my parents and threatened to notify the police if they didn't do something. They were like aren't you the doing something part? I got sent as an adult when everyone thought I had borderline. I had to go to save a marriage to save my health insurance. She said I wasn't actually borderline but aspd. After about six months of talking to her. We rarely talked about me. Just ideas on things really. She was nice to me though. I still text with her occasionally. The only behaviors I want changed aren't really mental but physiological and there's no point in going.
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby carmensandiego » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:35 pm

I got sent quite a few times when I was a kid too. I don't know if it helped in any way, but it was fun. I remember doing Rorscharch and word association; it felt like I was missing class to play games.

I saw a bunch os psychologists for various reasons as an adult. I never felt like the mandated ones were that great. It seemed like we were both just checking boxes. Like, if their goal was to find problems, they found problems, and if their goal was to say I was psychologically sound, then I was good before I even walked in the door. I have no idea how they came to some of the conclusions they did by the questions I was looking at, assuming it was from the tests.

A also saw a few different psychologists of my own choice. Some of them were really squishy and touchy feeling, but a couple of them were pretty good. I didn't have an earth shattering therapeutic breakthroughs, like in the movies, but I learned a lot.
"There's that whole nature versus nurture question, isn't it? Was I born a cute, vindictive, little bitch or... did society make me that way? I go back and forth on that..."
carmensandiego
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

Postby Dulcet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:56 pm

What kinds of things did you learn? She told me I compartmentalize people and view them as resources - we debated a bit if this was normal or not. Apparently the extra guilt about it is required to be normal, which is somewhat absurd. I do wish she was my mom sometimes - if that's weird. She was really non judgmental and a few times I was totally honest about my behaviors - once I even called her while running off on vacation with a guy and my then husband was very mad at me and asked her why he even bothers communicating with me at this point - I was pretty sure he was done with me anyway. She said I need to own up to my behavior being terrible, that he's really trying to show me that. I said well.. we both know it's not not terrible, so why does he stay with me if he isn't enjoying this type thing.. She said hopes of change, hope keeps people going. You promise you'll change - he believes you could change and then you'd have the dream he thought he had.

Which is accurate, but I didn't need to pay $200 an hour to be told that. It's better than some realizations I've heard members on this forum having in therapy though :)
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:58 pm

if ever i went to therapy again, i would insist that every question asked of me, my therapist also answer..
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dulcet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:59 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:if ever i went to therapy again, i would insist that every question asked of me, my therapist also answer..

What did they ask you didn't like?
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:00 pm

no, i would just like to know what their 'normal' is grounded in...and whether they themselves even conform to it

and possibly expose their PD..
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dulcet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:06 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:no, i would just like to know what their 'normal' is grounded in...and whether they themselves even conform to it

Go get em crystal!
Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sociodelique » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:10 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:no, i would just like to know what their 'normal' is grounded in...and whether they themselves even conform to it

I once had a doctor who seemed to have HPD, and she thought I was really cool for being a sociopath. Whenever she would ask me about my symptoms at my quarterly psych appointments, she didn't judge me or lecture me about any of it, she just seemed genuinely fascinated by it and in awe. So even though she was personality disordered herself, she didn't create any trouble for me but it made me realize most pdocs are not well themselves.
Sociodelique
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum