Our partner

How helpful are psychologists/psychiatrists really?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: How helpful are psychologists/psychiatrists really?

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 am

courtier,

wooster and i had this discussion before. europeans and north americans have different definitions of science.

to europeans, any rigorous examination of a subject is called a science. but to north americans, from my eyes it seems only that which can be subject to the scientific method is considered a science, in particular experiments.

so that means things like history, philosophy, etc. which are considered 'sciences' in europe are not considered sciences over here. they are sometimes called social science but everyone knows or considers them not to be 'real' sciences.

europeans however apparently regard them equally to the methods of physics, chemistry, etc...or maybe i am mistaken and a distinction is made though perhaps worded differently

essentially, the issue is whether europeans regard the examinations of historians or philosophers as being as rigorous as those of chemistry or physics or whatever...if that is the case then there is indeed a difference between continents in how they perceive the disciplines...in particular the trustability of their conclusions

-- Sat May 21, 2016 6:28 am --

LAmourToujours wrote:When you take all the data. It's not a science. It's a religion. Cognitive dissonance and ego keeps psychiatrists delusions going that they're practicing an actual science. Plus most of the population is silly enough to buy it. Outsourcing their problems to a cult.

the mind is not observable that's why it can't be a science.

psychologists have tried to get around this through the centuries looking at behaviour or other indirect methods but even then it cannot be science.

but nor should it strive to be, and i guess i am somewhat european in my thinking when i say that shouldn't matter; the conclusions of psychology or psychiatry can still be just as valid and brought up to the same level of rigour as science through other methods.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby MacBuddhaBurger » Sat May 21, 2016 11:02 am

Have you abandoned CAPITALS in favour of trickle of consciousness rambles crystal?

Perhaps you could also. Go for Ada's. Random. Punctuation. Purely for the. Craic.

Or Brian Gysin's cut-up technique.
The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.
MacBuddhaBurger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 am
Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Reaper » Mon May 23, 2016 12:00 am

In response to the thread title, I think they're fuking useless.

I've been rejected for therapy twice by psychiatrists. They tell me I need to see a psychologist instead.

The last psychologist I saw ditched me after only three sessions.

We had been discussing a few things, including my homicidal urges and on the third session I told her that I didn't see anything wrong with killing people. She warned me that she could call the police on me if she saw reason to, so I threatened her and told her that things may not work out so well for her if she did.

At the end of that therapy session she conveniently told me therapy wasn't working and that I should seek a different therapist. She told me she would talk to my doctor about it (I was on a mental health care plan, so he had to be kept informed) and get back to me, but she never did. I even left a message for her to call me back after awhile, but I never heard from her again.

I see no reason to try therapy again. Can't trust any of them.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LAmourToujours » Mon May 23, 2016 1:04 am

Props for trying reaps. Fuk them, it's their problem not yours. Why did you go though? What benefit did you seek to gain?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
LAmourToujours
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 am

Postby Reaper » Mon May 23, 2016 1:10 am

LAmourToujours wrote:Why did you go though? What benefit did you seek to gain?

I wanted better control over my impulses because I felt like I was losing control.

I had already lost control impulsively in the past and it concerned me that I may lose control again.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby IpreferAnonymity » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 am

Reaper wrote:I wanted better control over my impulses because I felt like I was losing control.

I had already lost control impulsively in the past and it concerned me that I may lose control again.

Being your Psychologist would actually be loads of fun.
“Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.”
― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
IpreferAnonymity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Reaper » Mon May 23, 2016 5:19 am

IpreferAnonymity wrote:Being your Psychologist would actually be loads of fun.

Apparently I have a complex personality. That is what I have been told.

I've learned that therapists either don't want to deal with me or they don't know how to.

You may have fun untangling the web that is my mind and I may have fun tangling you in it.

I am curious though, why do you say it would be fun?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby IpreferAnonymity » Mon May 23, 2016 5:39 am

Reaper wrote:I am curious though, why do you say it would be fun?

Curiosity and interest primarily.
I love the thrill of attempting to understand another mind. Humans are an incredibly diverse species. No person is exact. I've dealt with some absolutely maniacal and absurd people in my past. Not because I was put in the position by others, but by my own curiosity of their thought processes. I've made friends simply to see what they would do in scenarios, how they would react, their thought processes etc.
Plus, most people here are absolutely fascinating.
Here you are either a diagnosed ASPD, diagnosed NPD, Self diagnosed ASPD/NPD, on the fence, or a false ASPD/NPD. All of which are interesting in their own right.
“Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.”
― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
IpreferAnonymity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Reaper » Mon May 23, 2016 5:52 am

IpreferAnonymity wrote:Plus, most people here are absolutely fascinating.

Some people here are very interesting indeed. So much so that I would like to meet some of them in person for various reasons.

I have been told by people that I am intriguing.

Here you are either a diagnosed ASPD, diagnosed NPD, Self diagnosed ASPD/NPD, on the fence, or a false ASPD/NPD. All of which are interesting in their own right.

I was clinically diagnosed. I don't believe in self-diagnosis (it's too easy for people to misdiagnose themselves. This is why a diagnosis requires the experience of a qualified professional) and I most certainly don't believe in faking AsPD.

I realize your comment was about everyone here who claims to have AsPD.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby LAmourToujours » Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Reaper wrote:
I was clinically diagnosed. I don't believe in self-diagnosis (it's too easy for people to misdiagnose themselves. This is why a diagnosis requires the experience of a qualified professional) and I most certainly don't believe in faking AsPD.

I realize your comment was about everyone here who claims to have AsPD.

I was clinically diagnosed, surprisingly, as well. But with both of our disapproval of psychiatry and psychology why would either one of us accept what they think we are? The DSM and testing isn't really that accurate because it relies on two people's interpretation of a person who is unable to view themselves accurately? Plus either the person has too much experience w ASPD and when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail, or they're under experienced and may completely misdiagnose it, or be hesitant to diagnose it to begin with. Or just shove you out the door without ever commenting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYemnKEKx0c
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
LAmourToujours
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post