Our partner

Video games (to cope with boredom)

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Video games (to cope with boredom)

Postby hellmaker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:41 pm

I wonder how many of you play video games to cope with boredom.

When I was still in my teens I was obssessed with competitive video games as they were the only thing that didn't bore me to death. It was very important that they were multiplayer games so the situations were not the same.

Reason I am asking is, do you think someone diagnosed with ASPD or Psychopathy could effectively be helped to cope with violent urges and boredom by playing online multiplayer video games?

That could be Counter Strike, Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. Maybe some of you like single player games too, but I find after doing the story line once that its too boring to do it again, so I find the need to get a new game.

I think the main reason most non-violent psychopaths are lawyers and businessman (I am excluding doctors thats obvious why) is because they are always extremely busy in an always changing enviornment. The courtroom or the boardroom is just a real life game.

Or perhaps you think they will make the violent urges bigger?
“Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”

DX: ADHD,NPD,PDNOS

Lindemann - Praise Abort
hellmaker
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Video games (to cope with boredom)

Postby jipped » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:04 pm

I've played games since I was 3 or 4. I get bored of games quick because I'm picky and specifically looking for what I like.

Battlefield hardline is entertaining me right now though.
Dx-NPD with strong ASPD traits.

"In a prison environment, you would be labeled a psychopath"-psychologist
jipped
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Postby creative_nothing » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 pm

I used to play Counter Strike, although I liked Day of Defeat more.

I think a good game is a game that doesnt make you adcited, and at FPS like Counter Strike you can play for a while and quit.

Now turn-based strategy games are my weak spot, as I usually dont want stop playing. Until of course I am almost winning, and them these games usually become boring.

MMORPG are the worst king, as they are adctive as hell and boring at the same time.

I am no ASPD by the way.
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Postby Obsidian » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Yea, MMORPGs are like big chat rooms with different visual effects. It's more about getting to know people than the actual game. :­P
“God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”
Obsidian
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hellmaker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:04 pm

I really have enjoyed playing CS and WoW. The competitive part of the games kept me going and focused and really not very bored. So I am just wondering, since we already know most shrinks have no clue on ASPD and Psychopathy if there aren't easy to implement measures that can be done to keep one better behaved. If it wasn't for video games in my childhood I would have been in jail at least once, and I am 100% sure in that.

Lindemann - Praise Abort
hellmaker
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby creative_nothing » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:37 pm

hellmaker wrote:I really have enjoyed playing CS and WoW. The competitive part of the games kept me going and focused and really not very bored. So I am just wondering, since we already know most shrinks have no clue on ASPD and Psychopathy if there aren't easy to implement measures that can be done to keep one better behaved. If it wasn't for video games in my childhood I would have been in jail at least once, and I am 100% sure in that.

If you havent being in jail (or at least gave reason to it) how did you got diagnosed with ASPD?
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Postby hellmaker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 pm

The diagnosis I received is not ASPD (My mother made me go). As a matter of fact I am fairly sure what I was told is not even an official diagnosis. I was told I am a borderline case of aspd, a mix of strong ASPD traits and narcissim but with the ability to feel remorse and posses certain underdeveloped empathy. According to the guy I was talking with it is a result of pretty loving and caring upbrining that never really got me to act into my violent fantasies. He did call me a borderline psychopath once, but does that even exist.

Edit: was several years ago and to be honest, back then I thought it was a bunch of #######4 and didn't care, only recently I have started reading more about it, as Ive been getting into too much trouble with the people around me.

edit 2: should add my mom made me go, because I was once arguing with my uncle (my mom's brother) he said something that questioned my authority and I got up and started hitting him. Luckily, unlike me, he is sane enough to have just restricted me the guy is twice my size...and an ex-special police (our version of fbi here). There have been many reasons to actually send me to one as a whole even before that, but I guess that kinda pushed it.

Lindemann - Praise Abort
hellmaker
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Obsidian » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 pm

hellmaker wrote:He did call me a borderline psychopath once, but does that even exist.

Borderline is a word as well as a diagnosis. So that could just have meant "almost a psychopath". :­P
Obsidian
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hellmaker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Obsidian wrote:
hellmaker wrote:He did call me a borderline psychopath once, but does that even exist.

Borderline is a word as well as a diagnosis. So that could just have meant "almost a psychopath". :­P

honestly, when he told me I thought he just made it up lol how can one be almost an psychopath lol

Lindemann - Praise Abort
hellmaker
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Obsidian » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 pm

hellmaker wrote:
Obsidian wrote:

honestly, when he told me I thought he just made it up lol how can one be almost an psychopath lol

Well, AsPD is pretty close. :­P
Obsidian
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views