Our partner

When was the last time you cried?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: When was the last time you cried?

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 pm

C-Ptsd is fundamentally dissociated, pun intended, from the stigma of BPD.

it is fundamentally "I am a victim (of trauma)"

that's what jumps out to the layperson; that's how it will be approached by clinicians.

Not, "I am a premeditating predatory manipulative woman"

whether the current stigma of BPD is merited or not - fully or partially - is not the point. C-Ptsd would convey the message, and is one big fat excuse for BPD behaviour that takes responsibility away from the person and places it on their 'abuser'

I am not denying that abuse can lead to a person becoming an abuser themselves, but causes do not change the fact that BPD is a character flaw - as all the PDs are.

While trauma may indeed be the cause, and BPD may indeed be a response to it, so too must the other PDs be seen in this way or there is another agenda.

Because there is no reason not to see the other PDs similarly. NPD is a defence against narcissistic injury. BPD is a defence against annihilation or abandonment.

All the PDs are defence against something, and so they are all anxiety disorders rooted in particular fears.

So are normal personalities for that matter, though perhaps to a lesser or less rigid extent.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby RektuiesCatinPace » Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 pm

creative_nothing wrote:Not to mention that the relation of BPD and trauma could be inverted. Borderlines are not only very impulsive but also much more likely to get involved at abusive relations.

They have some sort of attraction for the bad guys, who will beaten or rape them. "Good guys are so damm boring."

Ok this last one was a bit histrionic.

no, that's just women in general.
Dark Soul wrote:
toosober wrote:some to brag about how immoral they might be

I haven't seen any bragging in that regard.
RektuiesCatinPace
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby creative_nothing » Thu May 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Health woman may use the bad boy for sex. They wont attach to him. In the end it is a win-win trade.

Now those that attach to them and tolerate abuse are likely to suffer from low self-esteem.
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 pm

Postby NimplyDinply » Thu May 28, 2015 10:28 pm

I need to study DPD more, but some times I get the impression that they are the nurturing wife of the abusing husband.

It's the naivety, which was displayed in that case study you linked. It's related to co-dependency.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:it is fundamentally "I am a victim (of trauma)"

And?

crystal_richardson_ wrote:that's what jumps out to the layperson; that's how it will be approached by clinicians.

And? It is common for victims of trauma to receive trauma-based therapy, regardless of the illness they have.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:whether the current stigma of BPD is merited or not - fully or partially - is not the point. C-Ptsd would convey the message, and is one big fat excuse for BPD behaviour that takes responsibility away from the person and places it on their 'abuser'

In no way shape or form is anyone with any mental illness abdicated of their behaviour, even if it is a reaction formation from childhood abuse.

You keep repeating this. I'm honestly starting to think you have almost no experience in the mental health system.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:I am not denying that abuse can lead to a person becoming an abuser themselves, but causes do not change the fact that BPD is a character flaw - as all the PDs are.

As everyone has. PDs are more than just "character flaws"; if anything, they are rubber stamps on behaviour/thinking that is considered outside of societal norms.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:While trauma may indeed be the cause, and BPD may indeed be a response to it, so too must the other PDs be seen in this way or there is another agenda.

You're seeing agenda where there is none. I never said, nor did my therapist, that it was only BPD that was a reaction to complex trauma. In fact, common thinking is that ALL mental illness, Axis 1 and 2, is the result of some form of trauma or the other.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:All the PDs are defence against something, and so they are all anxiety disorders rooted in particular fears.

ok, so are all the Axis 1 disorders. You're arguing against something that I never claimed.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:Because there is no reason not to see the other PDs similarly. NPD is a defence against narcissistic injury. BPD is a defence against annihilation or abandonment.

I agree, there is no reason. And Narcissists have subconscious annihilation anxiety fears as well.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:Not, "I am a premeditating predatory manipulative woman"

I'm not sure if you're arguing that's what BPD is compromised of, or simply regurgitating something out of literature from the 60s.
what a tangled web we unweave, when we practice to just be
NimplyDinply
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:57 am

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Thu May 28, 2015 10:34 pm

i am too sleepy to determine whether you actually addressed my main point or just deflected/fudged around :?

so I'll come back to it later.

but...

anyway, people use the mental health system to excuse their behaviour all the time.

Tiger Woods was diagnosed with 'Sexual Compulsive Disorder' when he was caught cheating...lol
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NimplyDinply » Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 pm

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i am too sleepy to determine whether you actually addressed my main point or just deflected/fudged around :?

I don't even know myself, not sure if we're on the same page. Maybe it's my fault.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:anyway, people use the mental health system to excuse their behaviour all the time.

Which is stupid because mental health penitentiaries are worse than regular prisons.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:Tiger Woods was diagnosed with 'Sexual Compulsive Disorder' when he was caught cheating...lol

wtf is that??
what a tangled web we unweave, when we practice to just be
NimplyDinply
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:57 am

Postby hellmaker » Thu May 28, 2015 10:44 pm

NimplyDinply wrote:
crystal_richardson_ wrote:i am too sleepy to determine whether you actually addressed my main point or just deflected/fudged around :?

I don't even know myself, not sure if we're on the same page. Maybe it's my fault.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:anyway, people use the mental health system to excuse their behaviour all the time.

Which is stupid because mental health penitentiaries are worse than regular prisons.

crystal_richardson_ wrote:Tiger Woods was diagnosed with 'Sexual Compulsive Disorder' when he was caught cheating...lol

wtf is that??

Tip: Ignore answering Crystal. She/he/it is considerably more f'ed up than you are.
“Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”

DX: ADHD,NPD,PDNOS

Lindemann - Praise Abort
hellmaker
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 pm

NimplyDinply wrote:

wtf is that??

I don't know...it's sex addiction.

he got caught cheating, sought a diagnosis to excuse/account for his behaviour that tookt he blame/responsibility off him especially since he has a reputation/career to defend, and so got diagnosed with 'sex addiction'.

so his cheating was not due to HIM but a disease that he could not help...presumably

PDs can work in much the same on a social level, even if they don't absolve someone of legal responsibility (yet?). although I think Brian Blackwell's punishment was reduced due to diagnosed NPD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Blackwell

Blackwell was charged with murder and was due to stand trial; however, that charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility after experts diagnosed him with narcissistic personality disorder. An episode of narcissistic rage can occur when the narcissist is perceivably being prevented from accomplishing his grandiose fantasies.[5] Blackwell was sentenced to life imprisonment on 29 June 2005. This was the first case in an English court in which narcissistic personality disorder had been found to be a defence to murder.[6]
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Fri May 29, 2015 1:33 am

MrSigma wrote:
Dark Soul wrote:I don't know much about seizures, so I'm not sure what causes them. What do you think caused yours?

I am similar to you, however, not in the way you think. My adrenals will thrust into overdrive, or fail to shut down sometimes.

You are almost a manic depressive right?

Broody, then, go go go...

No, my mood rarely changes. I don't experience highs and lows.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:57 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JustVenting » Fri May 29, 2015 1:51 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:All the PDs are defence against something

Let's test that
Against what is aspd a defense?
JustVenting
Consumer 6