Our partner

Questions For Those Who Have or Suspect They Have AsPD

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Questions For Those Who Have or Suspect They Have AsPD

Postby Reaper » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 pm

- Were you clinically diagnosed with AsPD? If yes, why were you diagnosed?

- Do you believe your diagnosis is accurate? Could you have been misdiagnosed?

- How is AsPD currently impacting your life?

- Do you have any other mental health issues that are co-existing with your AsPD diagnosis? If yes, what are they?

- Have you ever been clinically tested for psychopathy (interviewed and brain-scanned etc)? If yes, how did that situation arise, and what was your score on the PCL-R?

- If you suspect you have psychopathy and/or AsPD (while every psychopath has AsPD, not everyone with AsPD is a psychopath), but have not been clinically diagnosed with either, what makes you suspect you have it?

- If you do not have AsPD or psychopathy, why do you frequent this subforum?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Questions For Those Who Have or Suspect They Have AsPD

Postby caracalla » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Dark Soul wrote:- Were you clinically diagnosed with AsPD? If yes, why were you diagnosed?

Yes, and because I'm an idiot. I went to multiple psychiatrists actually looking for what was wrong. I figured I just had some anger issues. 3 independent psychiatrists all asked me about personality disorders at various stages. The fourth one diagnosed me with ASPD a while after being with him.

Dark Soul wrote:- Do you believe your diagnosis is accurate? Could you have been misdiagnosed?

Maybe. I was in denial about it for a while, and still am sometimes. I kind of hope that I am, because then that means it's not my problem. But then it's the issue of "Well what the hell is wrong with me then?" I honestly don't know.

Dark Soul wrote:- How is AsPD currently impacting your life?

Well, causing me stress. Easiest explanation/answer would be that I'm stressed/exhausted from having to fight myself all the time. Depression because I'm too tired of fighting myself all the time.

Dark Soul wrote:- Do you have any other mental health issues that are co-existing with your AsPD diagnosis? If yes, what are they?

Not that I'm aware of.

Dark Soul wrote:- Have you ever been clinically tested for psychopathy (interviewed and brain-scanned etc)? If yes, how did that situation arise, and what was your score on the PCL-R?

No, and thats not exactly something that I want to do. Not sure what I'd do with the information that came out of it.

Dark Soul wrote:- If you suspect you have psychopathy and/or AsPD (while every psychopath has AsPD, not everyone with AsPD is a psychopath), but have not been clinically diagnosed with either, what makes you suspect you have it?

I suspect maybe with psychopathy, but also at the same time maybe not. It's sort of the same boat as I'm in with the ASPD diagnosis, but at least this one I can wave away as "I'm not trained enough."

Dark Soul wrote:- If you do not have AsPD or psychopathy, why do you frequent this subforum?

N/A
This place is a waste of time and patience.
caracalla
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby xSid » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Lol, what's with you and the rest of the new posters? All those interview-style questions. Pretty restrictive format for a discussion

Yep.
I pulled a stunt that would get me in a psych clinic cause I was hoping to get diagnosed with depression (that would have been good for me in court - or so I thought back then at least). Instead, I was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder.

It's possible I was misdiagnosed. I don't relate to any of the psychopathic signs of AsPD, as I read about them here . I am not particularly manipulative, not particularly mean (in fact I consider myself nice), not particularly cold and detached, etc. I only relate to the tendency for criminality and the poor impulse control, nothing else.

I believe I do have some issues, them being AsPD or not. It affects my life a lot. I am in a semi-constant state of lack of satisfaction. I have trouble to establish a good relationship with the one person in my life that I value. And sometimes I feel my life just happens to me, nothing stable,
nothing built for the future, no plans, no balance, no nothing. Just whatever comes around.

- Do you have any other mental health issues that are co-existing with your AsPD diagnosis? If yes, what are they?
Addictive personality and explosive anger syndrome. That last one is probably the source of the 70% of my problems in day-to-day life. Also, as of lately, apparently substance abuse problems.

- Have you ever been clinically tested for psychopathy (interviewed and brain-scanned etc)? If yes, how did that situation arise, and what was your score on the PCL-R?
Nop

- If you suspect you have psychopathy and/or AsPD (while every psychopath has AsPD, not everyone with AsPD is a psychopath), but have not been clinically diagnosed with either, what makes you suspect you have it?
N/A

I signed up cause I believed I have AsPD and I wanted to see whether I could gain some insight regarding the problems in my life that come from my own self. I stayed here cause the conversations can be fun and interesting. Though the forum format is not very great to me, the delay in answers is a bit off-putting sometimes and I lose interest.
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby miss_lilith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes. I got caught doing something I wasn't supposed to do (I wrote about it before) and seeing a psychiatrist was something I agreed to do so I wouldn't suffer the alternative consenquences. So I went to the guy and after accused of being non-cooperative, I opened my blabbering (then) 18-year old mouth. Could've done without that.

I get doubts every now and then, but overall, the shoe fits. The most of the occasional confusion comes from the black - or - white descriptions of ASPD people. I don't see myself being nearly as bad as psychiatrists claim me to be.

The official diagnosis hasn't changed a thing. I'm still the same person, only now with a label to attach to myself. I loathe having to act "appropriately" and having to restrain myself from reacting to certain people the way I want to react. I have to bite my tongue a lot and I want to hurt people, yet I know I'm not supposed to.

ADD, NPD.

No, I haven't been clinically tested for psychopathy. I personally do think I fit the description of a psychopath better then the one of a sociopath (in almost all cases, depending on what criteria one goes by).
I wonder, how many calories are burned by jumping to conclusions?
miss_lilith
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm

Postby Reaper » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes. I started seeking therapy after an incident where I lost control of my homicidal urges and acted upon them impulsively. It wasn't what I did to the other person that concerned me. It was the loss of control, because control is everything to me.

I spoke to a psychologist about my situation (carefully wording it so as not to give the impression that I am a threat to anyone). After about 6 months of therapy, an interview with my mother, and several tests that I had to take, my psychologist finally diagnosed me.

I don't know nor do I care. Anything's possible.

I'm hostile, aggressive, argumentative and confrontational (more online than off, because I socialize more online than off these days)
I blame other people for everything (because it usually is their fault as far as I'm concerned)
People tell me that I never seem to learn from my mistakes because I keep repeating them over and over again
I've been accused of being shallow and superficial
I've never felt love nor had a desire to bond with anyone
I lack empathy, guilt and remorse
I'm consistently bored and constantly craving stimulation
I have a history of criminal activity since the age of 8
I have a mean streak - I like hurting people
I have violent thoughts and urges, which a psychologist told me relates to my having AsPD

I have some narcissistic and schizoid traits.

No and I have no desire to be. I don't see the benefit in it.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

xSid wrote:Lol, what's with you and the rest of the new posters? All those interview-style questions.

Personally, I like threads with interview style questions because they lead more directly into the discussion and encourage more participation from the forum. It's the threads without any questions that I don't like.

I posted this thread because I'm trying to keep the forum on topic and I couldn't think of anything else to post that is.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jipped » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes, but on paper it only says anxiety and depression which leads to psychotic outbreaks.

I don't know if I believe in disorders still.

It shouldn't "impact" anyone's life it is who we are.

Narcissistic personality disorder.

No, but the therapist said I didn't meet all criteria (fire, jail)

The fact that I have uncontrollable thoughts and fantasies as well as random moods of wanting to hurt people makes me suspect it...
Dx-NPD with strong ASPD traits.

"In a prison environment, you would be labeled a psychopath"-psychologist
jipped
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

Postby Audentia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I was clinically diagnosed years ago when I was 19 and at home for the summer after my first year of college. I assaulted my mother one night while drunk and when she contacted my doctor and told her about it my doctor had me hospitalized. When I first got there they diagnosed me with cannabis dependence, continuous and alcohol abuse, episodic. After I had been in the hospital for a while they collected more background information on me and gave me more extensive testing and ended up diagnosing me with ASPD.

I believe it's accurate that I have ASPD especially after the guy who diagnosed me explained to me how the diagnosis applied to me.

Currently my symptoms have lead me to some legal problems. I have one criminal charge and two lawsuits pending against me. My ASPD is also making me fail to plan ahead I believe because I am finding it impossible to stay sober even though all my pending cases are substance abuse related and I still don't have the willpower to stay sober for a lengthy period of time to impress the court.

marijuana dependence and alcohol dependence

Yes I was tested on the PCL-R when I was first diagnosed at 19. My doctor ended up reading parts of my PCL report to me but I've never had the opportunity to read it for myself. I don't know my score, but I do know my PCL report supported my ASPD diagnosis.

N/A

N/A
Audentia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am

Postby RektuiesCatinPace » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:13 pm

To constantly reassure myself I don't have it because of my OCD.
Dark Soul wrote:
toosober wrote:some to brag about how immoral they might be

I haven't seen any bragging in that regard.
RektuiesCatinPace
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby words-as-weapons666 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 am

Dark Soul wrote:- Were you clinically diagnosed with AsPD? If yes, why were you diagnosed?

Yes, though I was initially diagnosed with Asperger's as a young child, psychiatrists realised early on that my manipulative and downright cruel and abusive nature was incongruent with any form of autism. ASPD was put on the table when I was about 11, but it wasn't formally diagnosed until I was fifteen or sixteen years old (still very young, but after countless psych evals and the opinions of 10 or so professionals from all over the world, there apparently wasn't much doubt).

I could have been. I wouldn't say its impossible, but I would say it is a little ignorant to deny the conclusions of so many professionals. But it is possible. I have been misdiagnosed with stuff before.

I wouldn't say the diagnosis affects my life, but the condition surely does. The whole "rampant homicidal urges and inability to create a halfway promising future" thing isn't entirely convenient at times.I can't seem to hold a job or stay with a program of study long enough to see it through, despite the fact that I really am an intelligent person. I make friends quickly, but I lose them more quickly. I can't pretend to be sweet and social past a certain point in time and the "real" me (antisocial, hostile, mean, reckless and downright unpleasant) is really not worth being friendly to. I don't learn from my mistakes, ever. I emotionally abuse people who are close to me because they see me as fragile and broken.

I also have BPD and was diagnosed with anorexia a few years back. To be entirely fair, I was a competitive gymnast and ballet dancer. There wasn't a girl on my team who didnt have body issues.

I had a brain scan once after a head injury, but there wasn't much abnormal except the fact that my skull was completely smashed. Apparently, I have a shrunken amygdala. I know the amygdala has to do with fear, but I stopped showing up to psych lectures 2 weeks in so don't take my word for anything.
I never had any physical tests for psychopathy, but I would interested to see the results of something like that.
Dx ASPD, BPD
words-as-weapons666
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post