Our partner

AsPD and philosophy

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

AsPD and philosophy

Postby HopelessRomantic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:51 pm

I was wondering if people with AsPD may be attracted to a particular philosophy. I could assume that you might like Nicolo Machiavelli and his theory that the aim justifies the means. I also noted that some of you refered to be stoic. Do you like the phiolosophy of stoicisim? Do you think it might manifest some of your convictions about world?

Do you like to read philosophical books and if you do, which philosophy do you like best, and why?

Another reference to stoicism can be found here:

http://psychogendered.com/2014/06/whose ... d-empathy/
HopelessRomantic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: AsPD and philosophy

Postby InSpiritus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Nope.

Like some of the quotes from Aurelius, but the rest? Not read it. No interest in the "world" view of publicly acclaimed whatever it it is and blah blah....figure it out in reality where the living and dying takes place.

You? Any particular favorites that make sense?
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Postby HopelessRomantic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 pm

I used to like Nietzsche when I was younger. Maybe because his philosophy allowed me to let go of people and focus on myself and my self-development.
HopelessRomantic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 pm

Postby tehdoc0 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Interesting, I was thinking of starting a thread like this...

I'm a big fan of Soren Kiergegaard, although I've not read any of his writings for a little while. Quite like some of Sartre's work as well. Would like to read some Camus too, but will have to wait until I have a clearer head. As you may have interpreted from those philosophers, I identify with Existential Nihilism.

Not particularly familiar with the theory of Stoicism, but am going to have a read into it properly and get back to you.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
tehdoc0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby 1PolarBear » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I follow Rocky.

1PolarBear
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

Postby jabberwocky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 pm

HopelessRomantic wrote:I was wondering if people with AsPD may be attracted to a particular philosophy. I could assume that you might like Nicolo Machiavelli and his theory that the aim justifies the means. I also noted that some of you refered to be stoic. Do you like the phiolosophy of stoicisim? Do you think it might manifest some of your convictions about world?

Do you like to read philosophical books and if you do, which philosophy do you like best, and why?

Another reference to stoicism can be found here:

http://psychogendered.com/2014/06/whose ... d-empathy/

Adopting someone elses philosophy is a sign of a weak mind. In fact, philosophy as a whole, is a joke. It's just one person's opinion when it comes right down to it. I'd rather think for myself and really don't care about the opinion of some guinea who lived 500 years ago...or any other 'philosopher'. meh
"If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd lion on the ramp to Noah's Ark...and brother, it's starting to rain."
jabberwocky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Postby creative_nothing » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Wasnt stoicism an republican cynicism? That is a more social version of cynicism? The state philosophy of Roman Republic and Empire?

Isnot Stoicism, doing always what is virtuous and be free from passions? Isnot sociopathy exacyly the opposite, I mean surrender to your wishes, desires and passions while completely ignoring what is virtuous?

We must keep in mind that modern words stoic and cynic captures only a tiny fraction of its meaning. Stoic now means more or less, capable of enduring distress, and cynic an attitude of disdain for some society norms. Attitude that was maybe one of the main difference between cynics and stoics. Diogenes lived in a barrel and masturbated himself in public.

But to sum up, Stoic schizoid, Stoic anankastic OK, Stoic paranoid and even narcissist ok, Stoic sociopath or histrionic, just no!
Last edited by creative_nothing on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Postby jabberwocky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:35 pm

creative_nothing wrote:Wasnt stoicism an republican cynicism? That is a more social version of cynicism? The state philosophy of Roman Republic and Empire?

Isnot Stoicism, doing always what is virtuous and be free from passions? Isnot sociopathy exacyly the opposite, I mean surrender to your wishes, desires and passions while completely ignoring what is virtuous?

Stoic schizoid OK, Stoic anankastic, paranoid and even narcissist ok, Stoic sociopath or histrionic, just no!

Sorry...all I hear is blah blah blah
"If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd lion on the ramp to Noah's Ark...and brother, it's starting to rain."
jabberwocky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby tehdoc0 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:47 pm

jabberwocky wrote: Adopting someone elses philosophy is a sign of a weak mind. In fact, philosophy as a whole, is a joke. It's just one person's opinion when it comes right down to it. I'd rather think for myself and really don't care about the opinion of some guinea who lived 500 years ago...or any other 'philosopher'. meh

Most people would only claim to identify with a philosophy rather than follow it. True original thought regarding life and existence is incredibly rare as the theories have been documented for hundreds of years. When I read about Nihilism I realised that most of my personal beliefs were mirrored in the writing. I may have formed them by myself, but they had been documented long before I was born.

I guarantee that most, if not all of your personal beliefs in that area have already been ascribed to a doctrine.

I do agree that changing your beliefs and morals to fit a philosophical theory is the sign of a weak mind though.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson
tehdoc0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jabberwocky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm

tehdoc0 wrote:
jabberwocky wrote: Adopting someone elses philosophy is a sign of a weak mind. In fact, philosophy as a whole, is a joke. It's just one person's opinion when it comes right down to it. I'd rather think for myself and really don't care about the opinion of some guinea who lived 500 years ago...or any other 'philosopher'. meh

Most people would only claim to identify with a philosophy rather than follow it. True original thought regarding life and existence is incredibly rare as the theories have been documented for hundreds of years. When I read about Nihilism I realised that most of my personal beliefs were mirrored in the writing. I may have formed them by myself, but they had been documented long before I was born.

I guarantee that most, if not all of your personal beliefs in that area have already been ascribed to a doctrine.

I do agree that changing your beliefs and morals to fit a philosophical theory is the sign of a weak mind though.

That's certainly a possibility, but isn't it also a possibility that you read about nihilism, then nitpicked and possibly adapted your behavior, past or present, to match it? People are guilty of deluding themselves into believing what they want to be true. Just askin'.
jabberwocky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post