Our partner

Killing animals vs killing insects

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Killing animals vs killing insects

Postby InSpiritus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Aren't cnidaria silicon based? There is one species deep in the ocean that is...would have to double check, but remember there was one.

Human extinction? Yeah....too many and not enough concern for the planet. Don't hate humans, but too many.
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby MacBuddhaBurger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:11 am

Silicon lifeforms have been speculated.

However

But......

Silicone-Based Life

Silicon life would probably be based on Silicones, polymers of alternating silicon and oxygen. While in general silicones are less stable than hydrocarbons, they would have an advantage in certain environments. In particular, in an atmosphere or environment where sulfuric acid was common, silicones would have greater resilience than carbon-based molecules.

Silicones do run into some troubles, however. Namely, silicon that gets exposed to oxygen often forms silicon dioxide. Since it would be the analog of carbon dioxide, there's reason to believe such life would exhale it as part of respiration - breathing out dust and sand. Silicon dioxide is a solid at most temperatures, and not water-soluble, so you'd have problems removing this waste from cells, recycling biological material, etc. Now, "life may find a way", and in the case of silicone-life it's possible the solution would be ammonia. See Ammonia as Biological Solvent for a discussion of how it might work.

So, the environments most friendly to Silicon-based life are rich in ammonia and sulfuric acid. Ammonia's boiling point is below water's freezing point, so the planet would either be very cold or have extreme pressure (because at higher pressures, the boiling point of ammonia is much higher) - say, 60 atmospheres. Ice Giants and places like Titan, moon of Saturn might be viable habitats for silicon-based life. In other words, any planet likely to be hospitable to silicon life isn't going to be nice for humans. Maybe, just maybe, you might be able to get around that by having a Cloud Planet scenario - a layered Gas Giant that has some breathable earth-atmosphere at the high altitudes and a high-pressure silicone-ammonia environment further down. The notion of shared environments is iffy, to say the least.

Molten Silicon Life

Alternately, since silicon structures survive great temperatures, it's possible silicon life might exist in places of extreme heat. These thermophile / extremophile lifeforms would be made of molten silicon. This version of silicon life might exist deep within planetary cores. They may even form a shadow biosphere inside our own planet, of which we are currently ignorant. They may draw energy from infraradiated heat (see Non-Green Photosynthesizers) or from the oxidization of iron. Nothing I've read really suggests what would be used as a solvent by such creatures - but I assume it'd probably be some extremely hot metal that's normally a solid on the surface of the earth.

Obviously, the prospects of humans interacting with molten silicon life are no more promising than our capacity to interact with super-chilled silicone-ammonia life.
The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.
MacBuddhaBurger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby InSpiritus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 am

Arsenic? Interesting.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC15141/

There is one, deep sea sponge...but can't find anything on it now. Found years ago, but was a rarity.

on topic: Leave the animals alone. Insects are animals. ok ok, but so are geckos, and that is natural control mechanisms. I have lots of cute little geckos. So so perfect and cute.
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MacBuddhaBurger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 am

Aaaaaaah

Used to have a lot of these running around the walls when i lived in Singapore.

The Malaysian House Gecko.

:D
The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.
MacBuddhaBurger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby twistednerve » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 am

Brazilian geckos are usually ugly.
twistednerve
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Postby InSpiritus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 am

Nice....they are the cutest creatures. So useful and just at the edges of awareness...had one that lived around my keyboard and would sniggle off and hide...cutest little thing. Bunch of them around and grandpa/ma lives on the wall. Does a fabulous job of keeping the spiders away. Either that or ...my special mixes.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Picture-of-the-Day-Gecko-Half-the-Size-of-a-Human-Thumbnail-Smiles-for-the-Camera.jpg

Had a little one sitting on my hand...teeny , just such perfect symmetry and agility. Lovely to watch the little guys when they are hunting...once the whole restaurant was watching 4 geckos on the ceiling...entertainment, as they hunted mosquitoes...nobody said a word, just watched and when the geckos grabbed the kill....a round of applause was had :D

What do the Brazilian ones look like TN?
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby twistednerve » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

InSpiritus wrote:Nice....they are the cutest creatures. So useful and just at the edges of awareness...had one that lived around my keyboard and would sniggle off and hide...cutest little thing. Bunch of them around and grandpa/ma lives on the wall. Does a fabulous job of keeping the spiders away. Either that or ...my special mixes.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Picture-of-the-Day-Gecko-Half-the-Size-of-a-Human-Thumbnail-Smiles-for-the-Camera.jpg

Had a little one sitting on my hand...teeny , just such perfect symmetry and agility. Lovely to watch the little guys when they are hunting...once the whole restaurant was watching 4 geckos on the ceiling...entertainment, as they hunted mosquitoes...nobody said a word, just watched and when the geckos grabbed the kill....a round of applause was had :D

What do the Brazilian ones look like TN?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/D ... alango.jpg

Here it's called "calango" and it's smaller cousins "lagartixa".
twistednerve
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Postby InSpiritus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Hmmm...well were I a calango, I may find him quite attractive. We have some other cute lizards in these parts as well. :mrgreen:

Life and it's forms are so unique. Adapted to the environment in balance...till the humans infest it. :(
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post