Our partner

What do you call?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

What do you call?

Postby 9ine » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:40 am

... a person with no empathy, that doesn't fit the low-functioning criteria of psychopathy?

Not like "emotionally stunted," but biologically (amygdala and/or right frontal cortex) inhibited, yet "well adjusted," and sees how their life can run more smoothly through social cooperation.

"Norm?"
Tragedie is to seyn a certeyn storie
9ine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What do you call?

Postby StrideR780 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:05 am

The problems with psychology is that they love putting a label on everything and make sure it's nice and neatly in a box. When in fact, that's entirely too simple of a solution for something as complex as the human mind.

Look at the traits of psychopathy, they overlap with so many other personality disorders. It's better to show on a scale what traits of a certain 'disorder' someone has, rather than sticking a label of a certain disorder when the person doesn't exhibit all the symptoms according to that Dr. James Fallon guy.

But to give a more direct answer to your question quite simply that person is brain damaged. I had a moderate TBI from a blast and am considered brain damaged.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" - Ozzy Osbourne
StrideR780
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 9ine » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:09 am

StrideR780 wrote:The problems with psychology is that they love putting a label on everything and make sure it's nice and neatly in a box.

My former psychiatrist agreed completely with this. He refused to give me a label. Said my diagnosis was more like a paragraph... but, then, he wouldn't actually provide me the paragraph, because he said it was irrelevant.

In retrospect, I think he was really on top of his game.
9ine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby StrideR780 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:14 am

9ine wrote:
StrideR780 wrote:The problems with psychology is that they love putting a label on everything and make sure it's nice and neatly in a box.

My former psychiatrist agreed completely with this. He refused to give me a label. Said my diagnosis was more like a paragraph... but, then, he wouldn't actually provide me the paragraph, because he said it was irrelevant.

In retrospect, I think he was really on top of his game.

That's a smart guy, I couldn't say the same thing about one of my psychiatrists who I actually didn't try to manipulate. I have to put up a show for the VA psychiatrists. However when I had private medical insurance I told my Dr everything and why I was actually there... I wanted Xanax to help calm down some of my darker urges.
StrideR780
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InSpiritus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:16 am

Look at the traits of psychopathy, they overlap with so many other personality disorders.

Makes for a great Zen monk if you have it under control with the less than lovely aspects, but other bits are quite good and would not trade that for "normal" ...nope.
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

Postby StrideR780 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 am

InSpiritus wrote:
Look at the traits of psychopathy, they overlap with so many other personality disorders.

Makes for a great Zen monk if you have it under control with the less than lovely aspects, but other bits are quite good and would not trade that for "normal" ...nope.

That's interesting, obviously you are a very spiritual person. Why kinds of practices do you use? for example meditation.

I don't really care to change who I am, I'm fine with being very neutral with just about everything.
StrideR780
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InSpiritus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:36 am

Uhmmmm...actually. I don't. I train. And let the thoughts surface and sometimes, like the other day doing lat pulls...burst out laughing. Existence is ludicrous and funny to me. And good.

When there's not a bunch of crap being continually thrown in my direction, I am fine. I don't rage and snarl back. But it not? Things change :roll:

Yeah...I know...not really helpful. I read the infos once, nod my head and ...like that.
Body , Mind , Spirit and watch how you take care of the temple or the other 2 tend to get out of whack if left unchecked. And never ever give up the fight. No matter what it is, strange thing, but true. It's a dog eat dog world. But I'm a vegetarian, ...for the most part.

Buddhist psychology of Check Your Mind. Useful and simple. Not a big religious deal in any manner.
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby wooster » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 am

InSpiritus wrote:And never ever give up the fight. No matter what it is, strange thing, but true. It's a dog eat dog world.
Huh?? :? What fight, what dog? (I'm more of a cat person so I'm genuinely curious.)
Do we inhabit the same universe? :?

InSpiritus wrote: But I'm a vegetarian
I see.
Been always wondering why vegetarians are so militant. :?
wooster
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby 9ine » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:50 am

wooster wrote:Been always wondering why vegetarians are so militant. :?

Tofu burgers could make anybody angry.
9ine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jabberwocky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:56 am

Are you talking about an issue with the physical brain, trauma, lesions, a tumor, etc? Otherwise I don't know how you would characterize someone with no empathy and no PD...Does autism fall under the umbrella of "low-functioning criteria of psychopathy"?
Last edited by jabberwocky on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd lion on the ramp to Noah's Ark...and brother, it's starting to rain."
jabberwocky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post