Our partner

Conscience

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Conscience

Postby jkimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 am

Zach_31 wrote:
jkimbo wrote:
minotauros wrote:What's the difference between "hearing a voice in your head" (a conscience) and "hearing a voice in your head" (auditory hallucinations)....

hearing a voice in your head is not a auditory hallucination. Hearing a voice outside of your head that is really not there is a auditory hallucination.

You can hear a voice in your head and that be a auditory hallucination. In fact that is more common in auditory hallucinations then hearing a voice out of your head

That's never happened to me, but I have had auditory hallucinations of voices that sounded outside of me head but were not really there. I have no idea which is more common. I'm not sure how a voice "in" your head can be a auditory hallucination as you know it's in your head. But I will take your word on it. For now until I can disprove it :)
You've stolen my heart, but that's okay because I have three more back home in the freezer!
jkimbo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:05 am

katana wrote:What is it?

Fear based? Empathy based? Or something else?

Early stages = fear based

Middle stages = socialization based (based in the need for approval/respect)

Late stages = what I'm going to call self-expressive based, where one's morality is an expression of one's unique identity, and serves valued self-image functions

The stages, under my adaptation of the original model, would not be mutually exclusive, and in any one person there would be degrees or different proportions of each in terms of where they are at, although the upper levels are probably more restricted in terms of people in the population to which they apply.

Important note: I think the second and third set of stages are related, in that one's socialization lays the foundation for what particular ethical principles or whatever they choose in the service of a valued self-image or social goals under the social contract.
Last edited by crystal_richardson_ on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Postby minotauros » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:06 am

jkimbo wrote:
minotauros wrote:What's the difference between "hearing a voice in your head" (a conscience) and "hearing a voice in your head" (auditory hallucinations)....

hearing a voice in your head is not a auditory hallucination. Hearing a voice outside of your head that is really not there is a auditory hallucination.

Well... both could be inside your head...

Either way, a "conscience" is either an auditory hallucination not pathologized or its just you talking to yourself inside your own head. Even psychopaths have the later I'm sure they can think. The entire concept just wreaks of secularized metaphysics, where for instance, "soul" is replced with "mind", and people argue unprovable philosophical nonsense from there.
Live life by the horns, or die wishing you had.
minotauros
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zach_31 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:08 am

Well 6 voices in your head clearly indicates auditory hallucinations. You might not know which is more common but I do.. But hey good luck trying to prove other wise
Zach_31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Lucinda » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 am

Conscience

It possibly is a fear based thing; a thing we are socially conditioned and trained to feel.
But so what?
It is better to have one than to not....altho, like having empathy , it can make life harder in some ways....
It is one of those pointless discussions.....
You either have one or you don't.....the why's and how's are irrelevant i.m.o.
''Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realisation that there is absolutely nothing to attain.''
Lucinda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:28 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jkimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 am

I'm definitely Premoral stage 2, at least that's what the voices in my head are telling me :)
You've stolen my heart, but that's okay because I have three more back home in the freezer!
jkimbo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 am

just did final edit
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 am

jkimbo wrote:I'm definitely Premoral stage 2, at least that's what the voices in my head are telling me :)

everyone has voices in their head they're called thoughts...

auditory hallucinations are when we think our thoughts don't belong to us/weren't generated by us

so it's like someone else is in our head, or so the hallucinator thinks
Last edited by crystal_richardson_ on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jkimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:
jkimbo wrote:I'm definitely Premoral stage 2, at least that's what the voices in my head are telling me :)

everyone has voices in their head they're called thoughts...

That's what I thought except some people consider them to be auditory hallucinations, go back a little in this thread to see.
jkimbo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:05 am

just did final edit
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6