Our partner

All psychopaths have antisocial personality disorder.

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Ada, CloudShark

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

All psychopaths have antisocial personality disorder.

Postby horizon987 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say, even if it is possible to have AsPD and not psychopathy or sociopathy every single psychopath has antisocial personality disorder. I know you're all going to get angry, but it's true. :D Someone with antisocial personality disorder doesn't always have to be breaking laws and being physically destructive. Corporate psychopaths do indeed have antisocial personality disorder, because antisocial personality disorder is effectively psychopathy.
Diagnosis: borderline personality disorder, mild Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
horizon987
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: All psychopaths have antisocial personality disorder.

Postby Yurippe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Wrong. :D

If you're not causing distress to yourself or others around you, there's no basis for diagnosing a Disorder. He/she has no feels? So what? Big deal.
ヽ(・_・;)ノ
Yurippe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Demon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 pm

Yurippe wrote:Wrong. :D

If you're not causing distress to yourself or others around you, there's no basis for diagnosing a Disorder.

What does diagnosing a disorder have to do with anything horizon stated?

I bet there are quite a few undiagnosed people with all the characteristics of AsPD running around. You don't need a label slapped on you by a shrink to have a personality disorder.

And horizon is right - you can have AsPD and not be a psychopath, but you cannot be a psychopath without having AsPD because all of the antisocial traits are also mentioned in the PCL-R.
I'm going to show you how good it feels to be bad
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Yurippe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

We're talking about labels, so it's only natural that we talk about the people who come up with them - the shrinks - and the environment where that is even slightly relevant - psychiatry.

Also, you can have the underlying emotional deficit that encompasses psychopathy (genetic version) but not have the Disorder. For instance, jomp, me and a few others would be sub-clinical at this point for not causing as much trouble anymore. Do you think it makes any sense to say someone is DISORDERED just because they have a different mindset even if they get ahold of the troublesome behavior?
ヽ(・_・;)ノ
Yurippe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Demon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am

Yurippe wrote:Also, you can have the underlying emotional deficit that encompasses psychopathy (genetic version) but not have the Disorder. For instance, jomp, me and a few others would be sub-clinical at this point for not causing as much trouble anymore. Do you think it makes any sense to say someone is DISORDERED just because they have a different mindset even if they get ahold of the troublesome behavior?

I can understand being sub-clinical at jomp's age because the behavioral aspect of AsPD tends to decrease with age, but aren't you only in your late teens or early 20's?

Since being sub-clinical at your age means you probably don't even have AsPD, I seriously do not believe you're a psychopath. Let's pretend for a moment that you are though. A diagnosis of AsPD requires at least 3 or more of the following:

- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
- deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
- impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead;
- irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
- reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
- consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
- lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;

The traits mentioned above are also on the PCL-R. Are you saying that you don't even have at least three of those traits and are therefore, NOT disordered, according to the DSM-IV?
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 am

I agree, no they don't.

-- Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 am --

Demon wrote:I can understand being sub-clinical at jomp's age because the behavioral aspect of AsPD tends to decrease with age, but aren't you only in your late teens or early 20's?

Female Aspd tend to be less impulsive, less *overtly* aggressive than men, which means they are less likely to run into the system. In other words, psychopathy expresses itself slightly different in females. Other people here probably know something of this.

Reduced fear, lack of empathy, lack of conscience - these core traits are present as they are in men. But it's understandable why some of the behavioural aspects of Aspd specifically would not be, and how this would not preclude psychopathy at a young age for a women vis-a-vis men.

But men also, like seeminglyplain for example. He is a young sub-clinical psychopath. I'm not sure on the extent to which he is Aspd though.

-- Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 am --

OMG FUKING PHONE STOP RINGING
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CoolBlu » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:OMG FUKING PHONE STOP RINGING

Why don't you turn it off?
CoolBlu
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Yurippe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 am

Yeah, what Crystal said. ^

Also even if the traits are there (some to a lesser extent than before) and technically I fit the diagnosis, in my opinion it's incorrect to consider it Disordered if I can avoid trouble with the law and retain some level of stability. Who knows though, we're talking about technicalities in an inexact science.
ヽ(・_・;)ノ
Yurippe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Demon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:Female Aspd tend to be less impulsive, less *overtly* aggressive than men, which means they are less likely to run into the system.

Well, that certainly cannot be true for all females with AsPD because I am both impulsive and aggressive, and been reported to the police a number of times in the past.

In other words, psychopathy expresses itself slightly different in females.

In most cases it probably does to some degree, but not in all. Other overlapping disorders can affect people with psychopathy in different ways.

and how this would not preclude psychopathy at a young age for a women vis-a-vis men.

You cannot know if you're a psychopath or not until you were diagnosed with AsPD and it was mentioned by a psychologist or psychiatrist. A person may be self-aware enough to suspect it, but that doesn't mean they actually are a genetic psychopath.
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 am

You make good points, and what is a little strange about Yurippe is that she is DIAGNOSED Aspd yet does not exhibit the behavioural disorder. Why?
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post