Our partner

leaving the state to avoid involuntary commitment

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Re: leaving the state to avoid involuntary commitment

Postby Ada » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Copy_Cat wrote:Anyway I am not advising the OP to run away, but instead wins the court fight and shares how it's done with others facing the same battle.

Yes, you did advise that.
Copy_Cat wrote:Of course you can leave the state !!!
Copy_Cat wrote:I can state with confidence that their is nothing they can do and that law enforcement is not going to dedicate any resources into extraditing or even looking for you.
Copy_Cat wrote:If you really think someone is going to come to your home simply moving even one block away without telling anyone a change of address would likely do the trick.

It's not about the OP being hunted down. :roll: It's about not being able to access their bank account, benefits, psych care. About them not being able to report crimes against them for fear of the police. About them stepping outside their support network. None of that seems positive to me. Legal advice is really the best course. Whether "winning" a court fight is realistic. Or whether there are other options. That none of us have considered because we aren't psych lawyers in the OP's state.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Riccola » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:01 pm

I though I already covered this, the surveillance and police structure is scary but they still don't even have the resources to find millions of real criminals and absconding from psychiatry is about as low on the priority list as it gets.

I agree many criminals are evading prosecution without being caught, however my concern, (and I could be wrong) with all the recent tragedies in the US all it would take is one psychiatrist telling the court X patient is highly dangerous and the system will be looking for him everywhere. Of course I am not saying tropisms is a bad guy, but that's just how the system works :(

Anyway I am not advising the OP to run away, but instead wins the court fight and shares how it's done with others facing the same battle.

I think that would be best option. Lots of legal avenues exist, like the links you posted. It is a win for us and tropisms :D
forum-rules.php

"Neurons that fire together wire together, neurons that are out of sync fail to link"
Riccola
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Copy_Cat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Riccola wrote:all it would take is one psychiatrist telling the court X patient is highly dangerous and the system will be looking for him everywhere

The patient is "a danger to self and others !" says the psychiatrist.

Psychiatrists are like the shepherd boy who repeatedly "cry's wolf" tricking nearby villagers into thinking a wolf is attacking his flock. When one actually does appear and the boy again calls for help, the villagers believe that it is another false alarm and just ignore him.
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Riccola » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:49 pm

If I may, even then, I agree with Ada. Where will tropisms live? His support group? To many variables are at play, and I imagine the whole ordeal would be highly stressful. I get you, I don't want to see anyone being institutionalized, but I don't like giving the system the bate it craves.

Hopefully a lawyer can step in and put a legal stop to all this.
forum-rules.php

"Neurons that fire together wire together, neurons that are out of sync fail to link"
Riccola
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 pm

Postby tropisms » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 pm

So I should just wait until the court date where I presume the Psychiatrist is going to ask a judge for furthering or renewing the commitment? Under what justification/criteria does the psychiatrist have to show for this to be done? Again at this point the commitment has been temporarily extended but I have already been released from the hospital and am currently in an outpatient residential program and am free to walk the streets. I have complied with the program thus far and even been to therapy appointments. How could a judge possibly see where renewing a commitment legally be justified if I have already proven to not be a danger?
tropisms
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 pm

Postby Ada » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Why do you think the psychiatrist will seek a furtherance or renewal?

Is your therapist able to advise you or prepare a statement for the court?
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby tropisms » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:19 pm

It is unclear. I read his note he wrote when I saw him when I had a therapist app. I do not believe I can see my therapist before the appointed court date again so I would be unable to get that aspect of it. Even my therapist understands that there is no need for a furtherance of a civil commitment. I have been compliant through out the outpatient program every since day one after leaving the hospital, attending therapy, etc. What would/should I say to the judge about what I want? How do I prepare the possibility of facing re-commitment? I am wanting to just move on with my life, not particularly interested in just sitting around collecting disability. I have applied to several jobs and am trying to get back to work before the court date to show that I am functioning.
tropisms
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Ada wrote:Is your therapist able to advise you or prepare a statement for the court?

This really helped me whenever I was going through some legal trouble. My therapist wrote a few detailed pages worth of a report for my attorney and the District Attorney, and it convinced the D.A not to come down hard on me. In fact, it convinced him to give me a second chance, and now I don't deal with legal problems anymore.

I agree with Ada. I learned that no one except lawyers really know anything about this stuff. My mom was trying to convince me that everything would be fine, that it wasn't a big deal. Got a hold of my attorney, "it's a huge deal"

But likewise, I had a friend who was charged with a crime (not that you are), and he was freaking out, thinking that he was getting time in State Prison, and his attorney told him, "that's not happening, Odds are you won't be in a cell for any of this."

Lawyers know best about the law, not us.
Email me if you want some desserts

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby tropisms » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:00 pm

I am wondering what are the grounds for a legal involuntary commitment after you have already 'served' your time through the original 90 day commitment? I mean I am already out in the community so how could he ask the judge for a renewal? What would he have to prove/present?
tropisms
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Copy_Cat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 pm

“The fact that psychiatric imprisonment is called ‘civil commitment’ is, of course, simply part of the linguistic deception characteristic of the mental–health system. Since civil commitment results in the loss of liberty, and subjects the victim to health hazards at the hands of medical criminals whose ostensible healing function is legitimized by the state, it entails far greater deprivation of rights than does incarceration in prison, a penalty carefully circumscribed by constitutional guarantees and judicial safeguards.”

Dr. Thomas Szasz, M.D.

I am trying not to be disruptive and to stay on topic here but the way I was violated and abused in that "hospital" ... Strip search, squat and cough then threats of painful forced injections with scary brain disabling and body damaging drugs for refusing to take a handful of pills I knew was too much and would harm me all wile behind a locked door with no place to run.

Then my reaction to this abuse is charted as "rapid speech" and "agitation" and used as proof I was "ill" and needed even more of this abuse.

Maybe if psychiatry learned how to treat people like human beings instead of acting like soulless psycho barbarians who care only about profits and keeping the beds full they wouldn't need court orders for people to accept their "help" or "treatments".

I pray for the day they are held accountable for their crimes against humanity.
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post