Our partner

How long can a 14 year old girl go without eating?

Anorexia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: gratteciel

Postby MELISSA » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

MY NAME IS MELISSA
MELISSA
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby bereft » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Melissa,

There are too many variables to give you a specific answer. Viability without food is based on metabolism, current weight, general health, and other factors. People have been known to survive up to three weeks without food. Without water, it is around 3 days.

Why do you ask this question? It seems you posted a similar question before.

N.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: How long can a 14 year old girl go without eating?

Postby SmallTalkRed » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:28 pm

MELISSA wrote:How long can a 14 year old girl go without eating?

The human body is made to ingest nutrional small meals through out the day. Plus the body should take in at least 16 oz (2 cups) of water a day minimal.

Can I ask why you want that kind of information? I along with nymenche both have our curiousitiy peaked.
SmallTalkRed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

Re: How long can a 14 year old girl go without eating?

Postby dark699meat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 pm

MELISSA wrote:How long can a 14 year old girl go without eating?

Melissa - Your post gave me an uneasy feeling. Hope you're not attempting going without food for very long.

Good luck!
dark699meat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MELISSA » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 am

Well basically i am an average 14 year old , and well i heard that one can go up to 3 weeks without eating.But since i am still growing i am not sure ,if it includes me as well.Anyway I didnt eat anything today and i am not planning to eat. I want to go about 15-12 days without eating , but i dont want to die.that why i asked "how long can a 14yr old go without eating"?

Thanks for further Information.
MY NAME IS MELISSA
MELISSA
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby bereft » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:17 am

I want to go about 15-12 days without eating

Why do you want to do this? Are you trying to lose weight? If so, this is not a healthy option and could potentially be dangerous. You may not "want to die" but is that a chance you really want to take?
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SmallTalkRed » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:08 am

MELISSA wrote:Well basically i am an average 14 year old , and well i heard that one can go up to 3 weeks without eating.But since i am still growing i am not sure ,if it includes me as well.Anyway I didnt eat anything today and i am not planning to eat. I want to go about 15-12 days without eating , but i dont want to die.that why i asked "how long can a 14yr old go without eating"?

Thanks for further Information.

Why if you dont want to die, would you threaten yourself and your health?
If you do not eat your body will use your muscle, and even if you drink water, you will become dehydrated, collapse, medically treated so you wont die, but you will be sicker than a dog.

Please rethink what ever your plan is and just eat healthy, fruits, grains, veggies, low in calories but good for you.

do you often go long periods with out eating? That is very hard on your body. You won't be in control of your bodies reaction to starving yourself. You will faint and wake up at the hospital with a IV drip.
SmallTalkRed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

Postby Philo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Melissa, if you're trying to lose weight a more efficient solution is to eat smaller amounts of foods that are healthy and every day. That will ensure that you're looking good and not dead or in the hospital.
Philo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Starvation and its effect on the body

Postby bereft » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:47 pm

Melissa,

Here is something for you to read regarding what happens when you withhold food from the body for any significant period of time.

The phenomena is similar to yo-yo dieting, where dieters who have deprived themselves gain weight at faster rates than non-dieters when they begin eating normally again.

Under normal nutritional conditions, humans only absorb about 80 percent of the nutrients from the food they eat, and the rest of the nutrients pass through the body. But when deprived of nourishment, the body becomes a super efficient machine, Frisancho said, pulling all the nutrients from the food for energy. Further, because humans need a certain percentage of body fat reserves to stay alive and because it takes more work for the body to burn fat than carbohydrate, the body in starvation mode learns to burn carbohydrate for energy and to store fat, rather than to use the energy for growth.

When the malnourished person begins eating normally again, the body does not re-adapt. Instead, it keeps storing fat as if malnourished. It also keeps pulling 100 percent of nutrients from the food.

Here is the website if you want to read more:

http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?Re ... 4/r060804a

As you can see, the effects of starvation dieting can be contra-productive to people trying to lose weight.

And as has been noted in previous posts, it is harmful and potentially damaging to your health as well.

I hope you reconsider or further explain your reasons for wanting to do something that is so potentially harmful to you.

N.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby noodle » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 am

it differs per person. Be careful! You get alot of serious side effects from doing this even after 2 days + you should really research more about what could happen. I'm the same age as you and had similar ideas. I was aiming for a week, after 3 days i couldn't concentrate on anything, i was constantly tired and couldn't walk without support. During school i fainted, which luckly for me was my turning point as i hated all the attention i got, people would stare at me thinking i was anorexic etc. Please stop now before it is too late. Also the 3 weeks is probably based on the body being trained to eat near nothing for a month. If you have just jumped straight in i doubt you'll last longer than 10 days.
noodle
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Next

Return to Anorexia Nervosa Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post