Our partner

role of confabulation in alzheimer's or dementia?

Alzheimer's Disease message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

role of confabulation in alzheimer's or dementia?

Postby daughternumber4 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

does anyone know how much of a role confabulation plays in alzheimers, dementia or any other similar disease? is it an early warning sign of that type of disease or an indicator of a different type of disorder?
my mother, 69, tends to fabricate complete stories or parts of stories and i just wondered if she does it to over compensate for failing health or if there could possibly be a problem she isn't aware of.
any help is appreciated thanks!
daughternumber4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: role of confabulation in alzheimer's or dementia?

Postby jasmin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi, daughternumber4! I'm sorry no one has replied yet, try posting in the Living with mental illness forum as that is one is a bit more popular. How are you doing?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Kelly Thundercloud » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43 am

Yes that definitely can be a sign of Alzheimer's disease. Does she have any forgetfulness? Does she tend to be more firendly and social than usual? Is she turing more stubborn? I used to think that stubbornness was just part of old age, but it really can be a sign of dementia or alzhemer's.
Kelly Thundercloud
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:08 pm

Postby IslandLass » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes my mother, who has had dementia for about 8 years, makes up parts of stories. Thee is usually a grain of truth to what she says (no little green men in her room). But she'll add details that we know aren't true. And she becomes adamant about her version no matter what say! I think it's part of the delusionary system they often develop as part of the disorder. Actually, this was one of her earliest symptoms.
IslandLass
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby kevinbrown10 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 am

Hi All, I feel sorry that I do not know much about confabulation disorder, what I know is that confabulation is a kind of brain disorder which occurs in those type of elders who have sustained damaged in their basal fore brain and frontal lobes in brain and a obvious symptoms of this disorder is that patient starts producing spontaneously false memories like memories such events which has never occurred. persons suffering from this kind of disease often remain unaware from the fact that the stories or events they are describing are fake in fact they believe that they are telling the truth and can start argue with you about the genuineness of that event.
kevinbrown10
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Alzheimer's Disease Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post