Our partner

am i Agoraphobic

Agoraphobia message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

Moderator: salted lipstick

same here

Postby lara0630 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:54 pm

i am the same way

im 17 and have been agoraphobic for 3 years on and off ... the only reason i come out is if i have an appointment wiht my therapist.

i got bullied at school too ( really bad) but i never thought it could of been a cause. i havent been diagnose with ne thing else but i have been reasearching and i thought i might have OCD and/or bipolar ( dont do wat i do tho... i used to be like that : searching for reasons why im like this or why i do things and i find disorders to make myself feel secure knowing that i know wat im dealing with but then again i might not even have that disorder)...

and again same as you i am very social... although i get mild panic attacks meeting new poeple. and when i talk with poeple its hard to stop talkign cuz when i dont talk i think and thats when a panic attack starts... so id rather be alone and keep my mind busy or be the only one talking in a conversation .. but it wouldnt really be a converstaion , more like a monologue... lol

i was hospitalized wiht a severe depression back in grade 9 ( 3 years ago) and ever since ive been on meds but havent helped much cuz i get really depressed to the point where i feel like giving up , i just feel like theres no hope...but i have alot of support comming from my dad and my boyfriend so it helps

im so happy to find out some one out there is feeling the same way i am... i hope we'll get thru it one day!

lots of love and support

lara
lara0630

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Wow, I can remember last summer when a bunch of stuff happened and if I was to get in a car I would freak out and have a panic attack.

Agrophobia is a horrible feeling, because your at your house and you know you can't leave. If you want to see somebody, they have to come to your house, well at least thats the way it was for me.

Ok without medication, it CAN be overcome, but its not going to be easy. Ok im not therapist or anything but this is my educated guess of a good solution or at least a start.

Rearrange things in your home. Make it seem like a awhole new place. If you want go as extreme as painting, but I dont think you need to do that.
You need to tell a freind if you havent already. You should get them to take you somewhere close. Ask them if at ANY moment they would take you back home. First go somewhere close to start with. Then go somewhere farther. Make sure wherever you go you get out of the car and do something. (ex. if you go to a gas station get out and buy some gum or something) Then just keep going farther and farther.
Now you can do all of this with your friend or by yourself. Without meds its going to be harder, but you CAN do this. I dont know if what I said is a full treatment, but it sounds like at least a good start.

I hope you can try this, and I hope it helps.

Postby dark-winter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:15 pm

HI GUYS!
I'M AN AGORAPHOBIC GIRL WHO LOOKS FOR FRIENDSHIPS IN PHOBIC PEOPLE WITH PANIC ATTACKS.
MARY
dark-winter@excite.com
dark-winter
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Witchygurl » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 am

Anonymous wrote:Wow, I can remember last summer when a bunch of stuff happened and if I was to get in a car I would freak out and have a panic attack.

Agrophobia is a horrible feeling, because your at your house and you know you can't leave. If you want to see somebody, they have to come to your house, well at least thats the way it was for me.

Ok without medication, it CAN be overcome, but its not going to be easy. Ok im not therapist or anything but this is my educated guess of a good solution or at least a start.

Rearrange things in your home. Make it seem like a awhole new place. If you want go as extreme as painting, but I dont think you need to do that.
You need to tell a freind if you havent already. You should get them to take you somewhere close. Ask them if at ANY moment they would take you back home. First go somewhere close to start with. Then go somewhere farther. Make sure wherever you go you get out of the car and do something. (ex. if you go to a gas station get out and buy some gum or something) Then just keep going farther and farther.
Now you can do all of this with your friend or by yourself. Without meds its going to be harder, but you CAN do this. I dont know if what I said is a full treatment, but it sounds like at least a good start.

I hope you can try this, and I hope it helps.

You have a very scientificly valid idea.
By slowly going to the same place (close by) repeatedly, you retrain those pathways in your brain to not respond negatively to "that" situation. It take a lot of practice! No it won't feel good at first while your out. Use the pride you have in yourself when you get back as motivation. Don't progress to the next level (going further from home) until you've mastered your first task. Then set a new goal and master it. Always use your pride in yourself to guide you. If you have a bad day and a setback. Accept that as a small obtical that you can get past and go back to your goal with pride!
Make sure your first time out is during a calm period of day. Don't go to the gas station. It's noisey and busy. Go somewhere close, and quiet. A library if one is close to you is a great place. Not a lot of distractions and it's got things for you to focus on (books, mags ect) If you can get use to going to the library, then move to something a little farther, noiser, funner (is funner a word LOL!).
OK you know what I mean, more fun! :)

The big thing here is keep trying!
That's what life is about after all :wink:
Witchygurl
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby evaroberts » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:09 am

Few years ago i was suffering from Agoraphobia. Well sometimes i made situations so sever that it was possible for me to quit the home all due to the depression. Now i am under medication and i feel great. Thanks to this place where i can share my feelings.
=============
eva
Addiction Recovery Indiana
evaroberts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Agroaphobia

Postby shalia » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 am

Agoraphobia is a horrible feeling. You retain those pathways in your brain not to respond negatively to that situation. So set a new goal and master it.
===============

Shalia

Google
shalia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Agoraphobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views