Our partner

Why am I always stressed?

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

Why am I always stressed?

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:12 am

I just don't know why, but recently my emotions have taken a turn for the worse. I am stressed-out 24-7! Boredom brings stress, being around people brings stress, being alone brings stress, trying to go to bed brings stress, trying to relax brings stress, , watching television brings stress,...I get stress from everything! I feel a constant pressure on me, a pressure that tugs on me and won't let me go! I don't know how, I don't know why, but I do know this: there must be a reason I have all this stress, and there must be a way to get rid of it. This stress is humming my head I cant bare this any more. Things are getting worst and worst. Help me please
desmond
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re:Why am I always stressed?

Postby marissa2h2h » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:33 am

I 'm having the same I wake up nauseous and jittery mind cant stay focused. -but I'm determined to beat this thing and its hard, but accepting it and letting it flow is good advice.They say if you try you cant make it worse and it will eventually go away. Been having this cycle since started to wean off meds but it does get better -sometimes not as quick as you like. Its not always true that accepting the in the way they are, they some times even make u holler and may made you harm your self. I am presently using Theramood product and it has given me some relaxation. I am happy now that I am using this product. good luck and God bless struggle and just floating for a while?
marissa2h2h
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

stress article...

Postby evc44 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:14 pm

There are so many ways to coping with stress, you should never feel like it is a losing battle. Remember, patience, I know that is tough with an anxious and jittery mind, but keep things in perspective.

Below is an article about stress... Happy reading!

Are you a stress Junkie? If you are very competitive, obsessed with finishing tasks quickly, have a strong need for control, impatient, time-conscious, hostile, aggressive, or have a hard time just relaxing, you may just be a stress junkie. Other names for you could be: Type A personality, workaholic, or just plain stressed.

The Type A personality was first described in 1950 by two cardiologists who hypothesized that people with certain personality traits would be more likely to suffer from heart disease. Their research in over 3000 men proved that there were indeed links between being competitive, needing control, feeling impatient, stressed, or anxious and certain diseases. They found that Type A personalities had double the risk of coronary heart disease.

It turns out that health risks don’t just stop at the heart; your gut can be affected as well. Some fascinating new research is beginning to show that the gut and the brain are more closely related then anyone ever imagined, and that stress junkies have a much higher risk for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) .

A Gut Feeling
The rise of the scientific method in the last century has led us all to believe that we have individual and separate systems on our bodies. We have a cardiovascular system, a nevous system, a gastrointestinal system and so on. While this makes a handy tool to be able to study the body, our bodies act more as a whole than a collection of separate systems. One part of the body affects the other; they are all in communication.

We have known for a while that the brain influences organs such as the heart (remember: scientists discovered the relationship between Type A personalities and heart disease in 1950). However, no one ever thought that there would be such a relationship with the gut, or if there were a relationship it would be a minor one. It is now known that the brain and the gut are intricately entwined .

Research on the brain-gut connection has spawned a new branch of medicine called neurogastroenterology. Having a “gut feeling” may not just be a phrase, but a true representation of gut intelligence.

Scientists have begun calling the gut “the second brain”. While it is tiny compared to the big brain, the gut performs many of the same functions. The brain has chemical messengers called neurotransmitters; so does the gut. In fact, 95% of the body’s serotonin (the brain chemical that many popular antidepressants increase) is located in the gut. The gut, in a very real way, thinks and feels. There are more nerve cells in the gut than there are in the entire spinal column. And the gut carries on many of its functions without ever checking in with the big brain upstairs. This isn’t to say, however, that there is no connection between the brain and the gut.

In fact, how you think dramatically affects what goes on in your bowels. Remember the last time you had to do something very stressful? Didn’t your bowels feel the effects of that stress? This relationship between brain and gut is dramatic in people with IBS. People who have IBS are much more likely to say that they have stress and anxiety on a daily basis than people who don’t have IBS .

There is no treatment for the Type A personality, but there is much you can do to reduce the stress and anxiety associated with being a stress junkie.

Stress and Anxiety Reduction Program
The first thing you need to do is put some mileage on. Exercise is one of the most powerful medicines you have. When you exercise, a whole series of chemicals are released (such as endorphins) that make you feel good and calm. These chemical “medicines” are delivered at exactly the right dose, in the right amount, at the right time. Clinical research studies support that a regular exercise routine will reduce the amount of stress and anxiety you are feeling. Start slow and choose an exercise that will increase your heart rate for a sustained amount of time like walking, swimming, biking or jogging. Work your way up to 20-30 minutes 4-5 times a week.

The next best treatment is deep breathing. While it sounds silly to a lot of people to try deep breathing (heck, we breathe all the time), it is actually a powerful treatment for both stress and anxiety.

Normally when you relax, your breathing gets deeper and longer, but you can turn this reaction around and make it work for you. If you consciously start deep and slow breathing, you are telling your brain that you are in a relaxed state. Remember, everything is interconnected. You are relaxed and you deep breathe, or you can deep breathe and tell your body you are relaxed. It works both ways. Try taking a breath-break at the top of every hour. Let the clock in your room remind you. If you are near the changing of an hour, take 3 to 5 minutes to relax and breathe.

While exercise and breathing can go a long way, we all need a little more help sometimes. There are many powerful supplements that can help you on your way to a healthier you.

* 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP): 5-HTP is great for reducing stress and anxiety. It provides the brain with the basic building blocks for brain-calming hormones.
* Magnesium and Calcium: Why do people drink a glass of milk before going to sleep? It is the calcium in the milk that is relaxing and calming. Magnesium is a mineral we all don’t get enough of and has been used for a long time as a relaxing agent.
* B-vitamins: If you are a type A individual, you are burning up B-vitamins. The B vitamins play an essential role in all parts of the stress response, including acting as co-factors in the creation of the brain chemicals that return you to a relaxed state.
* Amino acids: L- Theanine is an amino acid that helps to reduce both mental and physical stress without making your feel tired. This makes L – Theanine the perfect supplement for the Type A personality. L-Tyrosine is another amino acid that can help the body to restore the neurotransmitters that produce a calming reaction.

There are also herbs that can help you relax. These include Kava, Passionflower, Valerian, and the milder Skullcap, Chamomile, Hops and Motherwort. All of these can be taken as a pill or in a tea.

A Good Thing?
While being a stress junkie places you at a higher risk for certain conditions, it can also be looked at as a good thing. People who are Type A are some of the most successful people in the world. A lot of what gets done in the world can be contributed to these driven people. The key is to balance your competitive nature so that you can still get done what you want to get done and not do any harm to yourself. Exercising, doing breathing exercises and taking supplements can help you to create the balance you need.

[EDIT: spam URL removed by admin]
evc44
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby prabhakar80 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 am

I am sorry to know that you are suffering with constant stress. Why don’t you try herbal treatment to resolve it?
One natural remedy that is Gotu Kola that is good for everyone! It will generally turn you into a calmer and more relaxed person.
prabhakar80
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Hi Desmond!

Postby Happy Life Space » Sat May 17, 2008 5:10 am

Hi Desmond!

My advice to you is to look at when this overload of stress first started to occur. What was going on for you at the time? Did you experience any major changes in your life? What has changed? Sometimes it is good to go straight to the root of the cause so you can deal with it properly. Adding to the stress you are experiencing at the moment, you are probably feeling quite overwhelmed. If you are unclear as to what triggered the stress, there are many things you can do it help ease stess it.

- exercise is always a good stress release and research shows that it is very effective in reducing levels of stress and anxiety

- What are your passions? What brings you joy? Is there anything in the past that has given you a sense of calmness and peace? Maybe re-engage in those activities.

- Find someone that you can talk to. It can be a friend or relative, or even a professional.

- Perhaps you could even source out a yoga class or meditation class in your area. These classes will assist you in learning breathing techniques to ease stress and also mind calming techniques.

- next time you begin to experience stress over a situation - ask yourself what it is achieving? Are you thinking of the worst possible outcome that could occur in that situation? If you are, then try thinking about what would happen if the best would come out of a situation. Train your mind to think more positively.

I hope I have been of some help to you. I wish you all the best.
take care,
Cassie

Feel free to visit our website at http:www.happylifespace.com
Happy Life Space
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Acute Stress Disorder